New cabling skirting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

need a little advice, using a spark recommended to install additional plug sockets. All skirtings have been removed and all flooring. Flat is circa 1970s ex-la. Concrete floors and ceilings and all wiring in metal conduit. Wires have been chased down to the subfloor and along horizontally and up to the next power socket. The cable is grey and is in plastic conduit. The aim of which would be covered by skirting. Seemed sensible to me when was being planned, but after reading on here I'm a little concerned. I've not paid him yet, what should I do? I can't tell him how to do his job. If I do mention it and he says it should be ok, what should I do? Leave it and just cover over with skirting or request that it is altered. He should know that behind skirting us a no no surely.

Cheers

Jon

Sponsored Links
Hi

Not sure exactly what you are concerned about. Can you post a pic?

Regards

MisterG

tell him he's a fricking idiot and ask for a copy of his public liability insurance for when you screw through the cable he's just put in..

this is not a safe zone and is unacceptable..

he should have gone horizontal from the existing sockets..

you simply CANNOT run cable that way behind a skirting..

in most houses you have to cross the skirting to go up the wall, but the possible presence of a cable is clearly visible by the socket directly above it..

I'm concerned by the fact additional sockets have been added but cabling has been concealed by skirting on horizontal ones? What are the options? Rechase? Armoured cable? Conduit?

Sponsored Links
armoured cable would be rediculous option
metal conduit is viable and is one way you can ignore the "safe zones"..

the problem with conduit is the depth you have to chase it..

So really the only viable option is to rechase horizontally between sockets. Got a bad feeling he's going to charge me extra for this when it was his mistake.

Maybe so, but the boxes control where the plaster goes - not into the end of the conduit. A DIYer has time for these things.

the terminal box would be there to terminate the conduit in a fashion that allows the cable to be routed properly..

Still not quite sure why your spark was unable to run conduit horizontally between all accessories, assuming they are all at the same height from the floor? Not only does running vertically to floor level and then horizontally to the next accessory in plastic conduit not comply with the regs, it's also a complete waste of time compared to the alternative proposed above.

If he must run it this way for whatever reason, it would have been permissible to chase upwards and then run horizontally within 150mm from the ceiling.

The truth is probably that the spark can't plaster, and the thought of bringing in a plasterer seems an avoidable expense.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back