British Gas thermostat Receiver with Nest

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apologies... I know this is much discussed thread. I have looked at others but none exactly much my wiring. Attached are pictures of current wiring and nest... could someone advise how to wire nest.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 8B6DF481-8F76-433C-836B-F45F031C1B14.jpeg
    8B6DF481-8F76-433C-836B-F45F031C1B14.jpeg
    201.9 KB · Views: 295
  • C781FAD4-01E4-4009-AED0-D5D49113B395.jpeg
    C781FAD4-01E4-4009-AED0-D5D49113B395.jpeg
    186.4 KB · Views: 303
Sponsored Links
The Nest-e receiver is battery powered, so the wires currently in L and N aren't required, and should be removed / isolated safely out of the way. Then the remaining wires in 1 and 3 go to the Nest C and NO.

Edit: Nest provides both time and temperature control in a single unit. You don't mention any existing time control anywhere, but if you have a timeswitch somewhere that is controlling the heating, that should be set to be permanently 'on' otherwise it will interfere with the operation of the Nest.

Last edited:
Thank you
Yes, I have a timer and will leave as always on.

I’m going to fit later. Thanks for advice.

The original base plate you show is reasonably genetic, it can be used for CH (central heating) and DHW (Domestic hot water) or just one. I assume only used for CH? the British regulations require an earth wire for any fixed unit, but you can have a flex to class II item without an earth, but using the earth wires as a conductor is rather bad practice even if not against the regulations.

Nest e is designed to work either on/off (digital) or up/down (analogue) in this case analogue is far better than digital, so if the boiler is OpenTherm enabled then far better to use that option, but depends on the boiler as to if it has option or if it can be wired without removing gas tight panels.

However since using an earth wire for control it would seem not fitted by a professional in first place so would not be worrying about using a gas safe person to any great extent, but would do alterations just before next service so it can be tested.

If that wiring was found on an EICR it is possible it could be given a code C2, personally I would not award C2 not even sure if would give it a C3, but some inspectors are rather pedantic, giving C2 for items which were never wrong when fitted, like plastic CU and no RCD protection, so if you need an EICR doing then would be better if this is corrected.

Sponsored Links
Thank you.

Only used for CH.

I have fitted as per ‘stem’ advice and all appears to be working.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back