British Standard Question.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
On fully pumped heating systems the recommended distance between the cold feed and the open vent is 150mm, anyone remember which BS stipulates this ?. Also does anyone know or can point my in the right direction with regard to boiler output allowances for hot water requirements.

Sponsored Links
If you want information to design a system, rather than refer to lots of Standards, what about getting the "Domestic Heating Design Guide; ISBN 1 903287 40 5 (£24.50)?

very odd question indeed its all to do with system design, not BS as such. are you a student by any chance.anyway i use 3kw as dhw usage allowance.

Sponsored Links
weres 300 litres come from?alls im saying is when calculating the rads for a house i would add 3kw for dhw on top of that.for the boiler size.also what size kw do you think an immersion heater is.

i never fit cylinders, so am not expert on subject but seem to remember that a cylinder needs to recover in 15 or 20 minutes, so 80 litres times 4.
far better of course is to have a proper timing system that allows you to never have to use ch and dhw at same time in which case you can add zero.

Why 15 to 20 minutes? Sounds like pointless over specification for the average household.

Why 15 to 20 minutes? Sounds like pointless over specification for the average household.

don't ask me; one of the many pointless rules and regs this government has brought in, 'twas in the days that that clueless **** from hull was still in charge.
what was the point of spending tens? hundreds? of millions in bringing in part L if you are not going to enforce it?
i did most of part L things way before it was invented, purely because it made sense from an economical point of view and increases comfort levels as well.
but as a regulation, it is a complete joke. as far as i know, they never closed the loophole to avoid installing steamers.

On fully pumped heating systems the recommended distance between the cold feed and the open vent is 150mm, anyone remember which BS stipulates this ?
Don't know if it is in any BS. In any case its the laws of physics which determine this distance - which is a maximum. Any greater and the pressure differential between the bottom of the feed and vent pipes can cause problems such as pumping over.

does anyone know or can point my in the right direction with regard to boiler output allowances for hot water requirements.
Are you asking about conventional (hot water cylinder) or combi systems?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back