'Britishness Day'

This has all come about because everyone knew what Britishness was, we had the world's biggest and most successful empire. Our identity was the empire.

Now we have handed our empire over, our identity needs re-asserting.

Mind you, it was all particulary English, (tea/cricket etc). And now our influence ain't that huge anymore. That is why we now get St.George's flags at football matches, St.George's Day cards and some pubs celebrating it - people feel the need to re-assert it.

I heartily recommend the book "The English" by Jeremy Paxman, it discusses this is great depth - Englishness/Britishness/identity.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...289859/sr=8-2/ref=pd_ka_2/202-2105717-0771040

Sponsored Links
Why is he called "Red Ken"?

And why would he want a "British Day" to be called "Allah Day"?

Doe anybody have any rational answers?

I thought he was called "Red Ken" because he was/is very left of the political spectrum.

Sponsored Links
I spent the day celebrating St George's day a couple of years ago: was quite depressing just how few people were out for it and only a couple of pubs had any sort of recognition of the day... but St Patrick's day, loads of people and pretty much every pub.

The power of marketing, eh! :LOL:

Now, I knew several scotsmen and scotswomen in my student days in London, and I work with a few in Hertfordshire. All of them fiercely patriotic, always observe St Andrew's day, often tell us all how great they think Scotland is compared to England.

But the one time I discussed saints' days with a Scotswoman in Scotland, she said "You have St George's day? Well, we have St Patrick's day up here" :eek: And she was being serious!

ban-all-sheds said:
Why is he called "Red Ken"?

And why would he want a "British Day" to be called "Allah Day"?

Doe anybody have any rational answers?

I think someones just stirring up trouble, once you start to fall out they sit back and watch the fireworks, sad isnt it. ;)

Zampa said:
The lewftie pinkos will ban a Britishness day...Asian day...yes..British day...you must be kididng, no chance mate

Lord Mayor of London Ken Livingston has stated...

"Anyone caught in the vile act of patriotism in labour run town halls will be straight out of a job and make no mistake, I wont tollerate people acting all British like...even if they are..it alienates those who arn't and could cause upmost stress and a feeling of inadequacy, remember we owe these people a living"
Didn't realise Ken Livingstone talked like a cockney! :LOL: ;)

Richardp said:
I think someones just stirring up trouble, once you start to fall out they sit back and watch the fireworks, sad isnt it. ;)
Well, let's ask him.

Zampa said:
The lewftie pinkos will ban a Britishness day...Asian day...yes..British day...you must be kididng, no chance mate

Lord Mayor of London Ken Livingston has stated...

"Anyone caught in the vile act of patriotism in labour run town halls will be straight out of a job and make no mistake, I wont tollerate people acting all British like...even if they are..it alienates those who arn't and could cause upmost stress and a feeling of inadequacy, remember we owe these people a living"
Zampa said:
Mind you it could be worse..if red ken has he's way it will be Allah day.

or did you just make those posts to stir things up?

Ken Livingstone is called "Red Ken" due to his antics as leader of the GLC 20 odd years ago, when the government dismantled the GLC in order to stop the twonk bankrupting London Boroughs.

The Guy is the worst type of hypocrite, liar and Politician imaginable, the sooner he is shot the better.

He gives out all this "Love the refugees and ban patriotism" crap, yet the Guy is a TOTAL communist.

Regarding the subject at hand..Why do we need a British day?

Well perhaps it should be the date when King James signed the Act of Unification that united the Crowns..would seem appropriate, and it should be a day of national holiday across the United Kingdom, including Northern Ireland and Wales.

On top of this though I would make St Georges day a National Holiday, the Scots, Welsh and Irish rightly have their Saints days for their own celebrations of their cultures, so why should the English lose out.

I'm all for holidays who else can we think of? 300+ days to go and counting ;)

Red Ken is as dodgy as hell, trouble is most of the voters dont remember the games he played in the 1970's, he would do anything and say anything to stay in office.

London used to have a very large Irish community at the time and Red Ken was championing the IRA at a time when they were bombing and killing in London on a weekly basis, i am surprised he hasnt a backpack and visits Hamza Hook in nick, but he will probably ask for his early release

Strange he has just unearthed a possible Jewish ancestory ... That may have been handy.
11/06/2004 ....
http://www.somethingjewish.co.uk/articles/980_ken_livingstone.htm

17/02/2005
http://www.somethingjewish.co.uk/articles/1379_mayor_s_comments.htm

... I didn't notice anyone complaining when I said the Saudi royal family should be hanging from lampposts....
You'll be ok here then Kenny... Down on electrics, royals to nick jobs..
17/11/2005
http://www.somethingjewish.co.uk/articles/1640_ken_livingstone_inte.htm

Successful, power hungry, politician ... The old bu##er has planted the seed for C.Charging, that will narrow my freedom a bit.. for a while.
:D

So the poor fellow introduces the congestion charge and you all have a go at him!! ;)

Sponsored Links
Back