britony combi 80 hot water problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
when i turn the hot water on it gets warm and then goes cold. i have to reset the boiler and then it can be fine. sometimes have to reset it 2-3 times a day. i have found that lots of ppl have this problem but i have not found how it was cured. any ideas?

Sponsored Links
I would suggest it's a blocked DHW heat exchanger... Get it flushed or best bet is a replacement.

GasAid - is it possible that the fault is with the diverter valve?

Softus, ive found the diverters on these tend to stick in the HW position giving no CH.

Sponsored Links
rob884 - is it possible that the fault is with the diverter valve?

assuming the heating is working then i'd say no.
From the description of the problem it would have to be fluctuating. Very unlikely however simply feeling where the heat goes would prove it.

The most common fault on these boilers is the NTC's. Proved simply by swapping the leads over,

rob884 said:
assuming the heating is working then i'd say no.
So, why not assume that the heating isn't working?

From the description of the problem it would have to be fluctuating.
It?

The most common fault on these boilers is the NTC's. Proved simply by swapping the leads over,
S'funny - GasAid seems to think that the HX is blocked and/or scaled. :confused:

if the ntc was gubbed would it not be a permanet fault rather than an intermitent fault?

Bets, assumptions and guesses.

Is this really the best that this forum has to offer in terms of a fault-finding process that the OP can follow in order to diagnose the problem?

FFS. :rolleyes:

yeah ok you told the guy to swap the leads over but you never told him which leads he,d have to swap so swapping leads is pie in the sky to himwhy did you not mention swapping to the other ntc.and does he know what an ntc is

The original questioner does not seem sufficiently impressed to make any further comments on what he is being told.

To me boiler repairs are so easy in front of the unit where I can check everything and particularly do a temperature survey all in a few minutes.

Tony Glazier

Agile said:
The original questioner does not seem sufficiently impressed to make any further comments on what he is being told.
Either that, or he/she has a life.

To me boiler repairs are so easy in front of the unit where I can check everything and particularly do a temperature survey all in a few minutes.
Well he/she can't possibly fail to be impressed by that.

donametchi said:
yeah ok you told the guy to swap the leads over but you never told him which leads he,d have to swap so swapping leads is pie in the sky to himwhy did you not mention swapping to the other ntc.and does he know what an ntc is

Then why dont you tell him.

S'funny - GasAid seems to think that the HX is blocked and/or scaled. :confused:[/quote]

Yes it probably is...but for some reason you asked about the diverter as be though had encountered a problem on these yourself. You try and be helpful.... :rolleyes:

the central heating works all the time its just the hot water.
thanks for the help. just wondered what sort of job is it to replace the heat exchanger.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back