Broadband Router

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can someone tell me if there are different routers for cable broadband and phone line broadband?

If so how do I distinguish the difference in the shops or on the web.

I ask, as I want to purchase a wireless one for my PC and laptop to run my phone line broadband so it is "always on"

Regards

Sponsored Links
yes there is a difference you need an ADSL Router. They generally say specifically if they are cable though.

just a point Staples (as of last month anyways) are selling a 3Com wireless kit 1/2 price, was cheaper than I could find online anywhere and came with a USB wireless stick (in my PC), a PCMIA wireless Card (for the laptop) and the wireless router. Can't rembember the exact price but was about £65

£69.99, router works fine, and my iBook with an Airport card connects with no problem when the encryption is off. With encryption on, either WEP or WPA, I can't get a connection. I just get a report saying there is an error. What exactly is the password that I should enter?

oilman said:
£69.99, router works fine, and my iBook with an Airport card connects with no problem when the encryption is off. With encryption on, either WEP or WPA, I can't get a connection. I just get a report saying there is an error. What exactly is the password that I should enter?

When you turn the router encryption on, you also set your own password or encryption key. You need to enter the same password/key on your iBook. WPA is the better of the two, but you may need to update your client software if you are using the original software.

Sponsored Links
Well, I've tried WEP and WPA again. Same error.

For the WEP I used 64-bit encryption, and used "rubbish" as the password. This generated 4 hex keys of 5 numbers each. I tried putting in the numbers without a seperator, then with a comma seperating them. Same error. I tried putting in "rubbish" as the password, same error. Any ideas?

Graham81 said:
Can someone tell me if there are different routers for cable broadband and phone line broadband?

If so how do I distinguish the difference in the shops or on the web.

I ask, as I want to purchase a wireless one for my PC and laptop to run my phone line broadband so it is "always on"

Regards
As mentioned, there is a difference. I found out yesterday when I realised that I'd bought my mate the wrong one. He's on cable and I got him an ADSL modem/router - hence it's on ebay now. :rolleyes: I've now ordered a cable router.

oilman said:

For the WEP I used 64-bit encryption, and used "rubbish" as the password. This generated 4 hex keys of 5 numbers each. I tried putting in the numbers without a seperator, then with a comma seperating them. Same error. I tried putting in "rubbish" as the password, same error. Any ideas?

We've kinda hijacked this thread, but which router do you have? You are on the right track. Make sure the client is also using 64 bit. Try using a hyphen as a separator rather than a comma.

Mmmmm, suppose it is a bit of a hijack. The router is a 3Com 3CRWE754G72-A. I have found AN answer, there may be others given the complexity of available symptoms with computers. The fundamental restriction is the Airport card can't work with anything more than 64-bit WEP encription. (Well, 40-bit really).

I then put the hex code for the password into the router. This allowed the password to be put in on the laptop. So problem now solved. Thanks for your help.

oilman said:

On your PC check to see what number Key it is asking you to use some versions of windows XP go from 0-3 some 1-4 your router will more than likely use 1-4 so say your router is set to use 1 check to see whether your PC has range 0-3 if so select 0< I have come accross this problem time and time again

NO THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A DSL/PHONE BROADBAND ROUTER AND A CABLE ROUTER

DO NOT CONFUSE A MODEM WITH A ROUTER.

Also, do not confuse modems with built-in routers

Also, I hope we are talking consumer level products here.
Coax couplers and telephone modulators are not consumer lever routers/switches....

A modem generally has a standard ethernet port which would connect to a computer.
When you purchase a router, make sure you get an internet router.
A regular router is a fast switch/hub.
An internet router has a special ethernet port called WAN which blocks various networking protocols.

Basically, you connect the wan into the back of your modem with an ethernet cable.
Then, you can duplicate the mac address of computers ethernet card to the wan port to trick the modem. This has to be done in many cases, because your ISP wants you to pay for networking.
If and when you buy a second router, you cannot use the wan port becasuse it blocks many protocols including netbios. You have to connect lan1 on router1 to lan1 on router2.

If you accidentally buy a non-frontend router or hub/switch then configuration will be painful.
Also, you can only have 1 dhcp server per domain, so you will have a DHCP server assigning an ip address to your modem and then you will have a a DHCP server on your router assigning ip addresses to all your wired/wireless computers/router. If there are other routers on the same domain, you will have to turn off their dhcp servers, otherwise youll have a broken network with no filesharing, or printer sharing....only internet access...

shdwsclan said:
NO THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A DSL/PHONE BROADBAND ROUTER AND A CABLE ROUTER

DO NOT CONFUSE A MODEM WITH A ROUTER.

Also, do not confuse modems with built-in routers

Also, I hope we are talking consumer level products here.
Coax couplers and telephone modulators are not consumer lever routers/switches....

A modem generally has a standard ethernet port which would connect to a computer.
When you purchase a router, make sure you get an internet router.
A regular router is a fast switch/hub.
An internet router has a special ethernet port called WAN which blocks various networking protocols.

whoah!! hold on a second.

here in the UK, we have cable routers - these have a coaxial input for the broadband as far as i know, therefore there IS a difference between ADSL and cable routers. ADSL ones simply have an RJ?? standard telephone input. Most routers, wireless or not, have 4 ethernet outputs, with the facility to set up home networking.

After the above, i lost what you were talking about. I guess routers in this country are plug and play, whereas you have to do some work in the states!!!! :confused:

Possibly a terminology issue between US/UK.

A router is designed to connect one network to another and so will always have some kind of WAN port, whereas a switch is designed to work within a network and therefore only has LAN ports.

An ADSL specific router is really a combination of a MODEM and a router (and generally a switch). The WAN port is internal, but effectively the RJ11 could be considered the WAN, although it will only work with DSL.

A cable router contains no modem, but again is commonly combined with a switch. The WAN port is generally used to connect to a cable modem, but this doesn't have to be the case. You could connect it directly to the WAN port of a router on a separate network.

The modem in either case only serves as an interface between the router/pc and the telecom system in use.

I can see now that this is a terminology issue.

!= = Not equal for all you non programmers..

Cable Modem + Router != Cable router
ADSL Modem + Router != ADSL router

A cable router actually route cable. One of these is actually $12,000.
Stolen ones sell in south america for about $10,000. These actually route cable and in coax cable.

An adsl router costs about as much. It is a large switch that sits at a telco that just directs packets.

An ethernet router is a consumer level device that is used to route ethernet signals.

Most modem+router combinations are advertised as modem + router.

Also, you are partially correct.
Routers, switches and hubs perform the same action of bridging networks.
They just use different packet stripping algorithms.
ALL are used to router internet traffic from the modem, the technology horizon must have skipped over the UK i guess....

Basically, in the beginning there was a hub. The technology used was slow and interative. The first tests of ethernet.
Basically, this was the start of the OSI model.
This was basically stage one of the osi model.

A switch came later. This increased speed over the hub, and used both level 1 and leve 2 of the osi model.

Finally, a router came along. This switching device utilizes all 7 layers of the OSI model.

A router is the most prefferred type of switch in a school/home/office/business environment.

How can you tell the company your working for is cheap?
They still use switches and hubs....

The proper term for the router spoken about in this room would be
BROADBAND ROUTERS.
Such routers are specifically designed to route broadband signals. These routers contain wan ports. Regular routers do not.

All switches, routers and hub can be set up to pipe broadband.
I, myself, have gone through a hoard of hubs, switches, routers, pbx switches(try asterisk for linux its very good) and broadband routers.

Remember.
A true cable router cost $12,000.
The so called cable router here is actually a broadband router + modem.
A true ADSL switch costs about the same.
The so called ADSL router is an ADSL modem+router(yes, our telcos in the states give them out like trash too but people dont know how to configure them and wardrivers like me have free internet when we need driving directions).
A true flat screen is not just a flat panel lcd, but can also be a flat crt(still preferable for color accuracy)

Also, plug-n-play is useless when you have vpn network that spans two separate continents, running a fileserve, webserver, or ssh/telnet terminal.
Plug-n-play seems to get in the way most when running an ftp server, i know from experience.....

As now I have sorted out the misuse of terminology.

Its funny, that electroslang is not only a problem in the states.....

shdwsclan said:
I can see now that this is a terminology issue.

!= = Not equal for all you non programmers..

Cable Modem + Router != Cable router
ADSL Modem + Router != ADSL router

A cable router actually route cable. One of these is actually $12,000.
Stolen ones sell in south america for about $10,000. These actually route cable and in coax cable.

An adsl router costs about as much. It is a large switch that sits at a telco that just directs packets.

An ethernet router is a consumer level device that is used to route ethernet signals.

Most modem+router combinations are advertised as modem + router.

Blah.

shdwsclan said:
Also, you are partially correct.
Routers, switches and hubs perform the same action of bridging networks.
They just use different packet stripping algorithms.
ALL are used to router internet traffic from the modem, the technology horizon must have skipped over the UK i guess....

More blah

shdwsclan said:
Basically, in the beginning there was a hub. The technology used was slow and interative. The first tests of ethernet.
Basically, this was the start of the OSI model.
This was basically stage one of the osi model.

A switch came later. This increased speed over the hub, and used both level 1 and leve 2 of the osi model.

Finally, a router came along. This switching device utilizes all 7 layers of the OSI model.

Layer 3 of the OSI model is concerned with the transport of data between networks and so routers (and to some degree, managed switches) operate at this level. Switches live at layer 2, data is only moved between local nodes. You seem to have little understanding of the OSI model. It's not something that has developed from layer 1, with new "improved" bits becoming new layers.
shdwsclan said:
A router is the most prefferred type of switch in a school/home/office/business environment.

How can you tell the company your working for is cheap?
They still use switches and hubs....

The proper term for the router spoken about in this room would be
BROADBAND ROUTERS.
Such routers are specifically designed to route broadband signals. These routers contain wan ports. Regular routers do not.

All switches, routers and hub can be set up to pipe broadband.
I, myself, have gone through a hoard of hubs, switches, routers, pbx switches(try asterisk for linux its very good) and broadband routers.

You are talking complete nonsense.
shdwsclan said:
Remember.
A true cable router cost $12,000.
The so called cable router here is actually a broadband router + modem.
A true ADSL switch costs about the same.
The so called ADSL router is an ADSL modem+router(yes, our telcos in the states give them out like trash too but people dont know how to configure them and wardrivers like me have free internet when we need driving directions).
More blather. Also, whilst wardriving to locate networks isn't illegal here, connecting to said networks, without authorisation, very much is. I would suspect theft might be in there also.

shdwsclan said:
A true flat screen is not just a flat panel lcd, but can also be a flat crt(still preferable for color accuracy)
What has that got to do with the subject?
shdwsclan said:
Also, plug-n-play is useless when you have vpn network that spans two separate continents, running a fileserve, webserver, or ssh/telnet terminal.
Plug-n-play seems to get in the way most when running an ftp server, i know from experience.....

As now I have sorted out the misuse of terminology.

Its funny, that electroslang is not only a problem in the states.....

More blah

I can see that you are a low level IT slave.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/illus/1/78/11278.gif

Here is an image that you probably may be to ignorant to understand and just call it blah.

Take it from someone who has actually written firmware for these devices...

Just because your intelligence isnt adequate of grasping the subject doesnt mean its nonsense....

DSL routers work the same way. They are placed after the telephony switch.
The DSL router patches into fios and goes up to a proxy, while the telephony is selective and connects recursive throughout a grid....thats why there are 4 voice tiers....

0-8 miles
8-16 miles
16-cont
ld

Sponsored Links
Back