Broken Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone, and thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

I currently have a Balmoral 65 boiler which is badged as a Wickes 65F. I came back after a weekend away to find the electric supply to the kitchen tripped out and no heating. I checked the boiler and replaced a blown fuse but this didn't enable the boiler to light. I called out an emergency plumber who told me the gas valve has gone which will cost me £150 - £200 if the part is available.

So, my question(s) is this:
Is it worth getting the boiler fixed? I suspect not.
What should I replace it with?
I live in a 3 bed semi with one bathroom but hope to be extending to a 4 bed with an en-suite. I have one child who has a bath every night and another child on the way.

My main concern is a combi boiler would not have enough output for a shower and a bathroom, especially if there was another drain on the system eg washing machine, dishwasher etc.

Would it be better just to replace the existing boiler with a newer model and keep the emersion heater?

Thanks again for any advice.

Sponsored Links
I've had a look at the Glow-worm Xtramax HE, the Vaillant eco TEC and the AlphaCD35C.

Would anyone recommend any of these or are they over kill?

Any suggestions welcome.

I've had a look at the Glow-worm Xtramax HE, the Vaillant eco TEC and the AlphaCD35C.

Would anyone recommend any of these or are they over kill?

Any suggestions welcome.

both the glow worm xtramax he and the vaillant ecotecplus937 are about the best performing combi's out there at the moment. The alpha's are not a patch on them imo. I have fitted and worked on both and they are a geart piece of kit. A cheaper option would be the glow worm ultracom 38/30cxi or the vaillant ecotecplus 837/831 both really good and reliable boilers.

Thanks for the advice. Which of these would you personally go for? Do you get much more boiler for the extra money? :D

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice. Which of these would you personally go for? Do you get much more boiler for the extra money? :D

in your situation the 937 and the xtramax are perhaps more than you need (overkill). If your willing to pay for the best quality the ecotecplus 837 would be a very good investment or for a little less money and still a quality piece of kit the glow worm ultracom 38 cxi. There are 31/30 kw versions available too but as you run baths for the children and (will) have two bathrooms 37/38 kw would be the better option. ;)

Would it be better just to replace the existing boiler with a newer model and keep the emersion heater?

If your happy with the current system and the way it works, then there is no need to fit a combi. I regularly get customers who have been advised to convert to a combi by installers yet when questioned it is not in their best interests. A heat only boiler can usually be replaced with little disruption at pretty reasonable cost. An unvented cylinder could always be considered now or at a later date if you feel you need an improved hot water delivery.

Cheers Dangermouse, I think you might be right about the overkill and I'm going to go for the Glow-Worm Ultracom 38 cxi. Looks like it should cater for all of our needs and save a few quid!

Hi Mickg, I wouldn't say I'm happy with the current set-up as the tank is in the loft so not exactly the best place to store hot water. Also, for reasons unknown to myself, the previous owner of the house disconnected the electric immersion heater :rolleyes: So, now the boiler has broke I'm without heat or hot water. I suppose this would be the situation alos if acombi broke ;)

Cheers Dangermouse, I think you might be right about the overkill and I'm going to go for the Glow-Worm Ultracom 38 cxi. Looks like it should cater for all of our needs and save a few quid!

Hi Mickg, I wouldn't say I'm happy with the current set-up as the tank is in the loft so not exactly the best place to store hot water. Also, for reasons unknown to myself, the previous owner of the house disconnected the electric immersion heater :rolleyes: So, now the boiler has broke I'm without heat or hot water. I suppose this would be the situation alos if acombi broke ;)

while mickyg makes a valid point I'd still say go with the gw ultracom 38 cxi, they are fantastic boilers and deliver exceptional hw flow rates for the price. I have serviced many of these and am yet to find an unsatisfied customer. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back