Broken Ceiling Joist

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We have a Victorian terrace house. He have been taking down the ceiling in the front room on the top floor, as it was bowing and needed replacing.

We have taken off all the plaster and laths, and have now realised that one of the ceiling joists is broken. It is broken right at the end, where it meets the wall.

When we purchased the property the rendering on the front was blown, so we have penetrating damp. However, this was not near the broken joist. We also have a parapet gutter, and I fear that this is the cause of the problem. The other joists don't look in great shape around the wall area either, but are not broken. I presume this is a damp/wet rot issue, but was looking for some general advice on diagnosing the problem.

I've been speaking to the next door neighbour and he has the same problem.

I was also looking for some general advice on where to go from here. To be honest I don't really know what to do next.

I've created an album with some photos of the broken joist, which you can find here

//www.diynot.com/network/user_album_update.php?album_id=20143

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Yep - well rotted away, those!
I'd be inclined to Acrow prop up the ceiling, and consider replacing the joists, using the existing sockets formed by the bricks.
I presume the damp is historic now?
John :)

Hey, thanks for the quick response.

I'm not sure it the damp is historic or not, which is part of the problem. I've sorted out the rendering, but I don't know whether the parapet gutter is causing any issues. Given that the neighbour has the same problem with his joists, but hasn't had any problems with his rendering, I suspect that it is causing problems Any ideas on how I would diagnose that?

Do you mean I should put the acrow props up right now, or when replacing the joists? Do you have a rough idea of how much replacing the joists is likely to cost?

I would guess that the damp is historic - assuming that the joist ends are dry now of course!
This sort of thing isn't uncommon on old properties - especially if the parapet gutter has been leaking towards the house!
No need to panic here - nothing is going too fall down overnight. I just use the acrows to keep everything stable and safe when the work is ongoing - if you are just doing the one joist then it wouldn't be necessary.
As for costs well you'll just have to get some joiner quotes, and decide if the whole ceiling needs doing......and if there are other issues. A couple of days should easily sort it!
John :)

Sponsored Links
OK, that's good to know about the acrow props. Thanks. The emergency order has been postponed!

I think I will get a moisture reader and check the moisture of the joists. The joists aren't soaking wet, but it's difficult for me to tell much more than that by touch alone.

I think the next door neighbour is having his parapet gutter removed completely. I will talk to him in more detail too.

Hi,

We have a Victorian terrace house. He have been taking down the ceiling in the front room on the top floor, as it was bowing and needed replacing.

We have taken off all the plaster and laths, and have now realised that one of the ceiling joists is broken. It is broken right at the end, where it meets the wall.

When we purchased the property the rendering on the front was blown, so we have penetrating damp. However, this was not near the broken joist. We also have a parapet gutter, and I fear that this is the cause of the problem. The other joists don't look in great shape around the wall area either, but are not broken. I presume this is a damp/wet rot issue, but was looking for some general advice on diagnosing the problem.

I've been speaking to the next door neighbour and he has the same problem.

I was also looking for some general advice on where to go from here. To be honest I don't really know what to do next.

I've created an album with some photos of the broken joist, which you can find here

//www.diynot.com/network/user_album_update.php?album_id=20143

Thanks in advance
Link does not work you just need to click on 'show my image' below the posting box and select images to include.

I didn't know you could do that. Thanks for letting me know. I've updated the first post to include the images.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back