Broken circuit or LED?

C

Coniferman

More electronics than electrics but I am sure someone is more than clever enough.

Bought a Belkin inverter - has 4 blue LEDs to indicate the input power voltage. 1 of the 4 does not work properly and blinks on and off. I only paid a tenner for this thing so not going to bother with the hassle of returning it. I took it apart hoping to see a dry solder joint but although it looked slightly dodgy, additional solder has not made any difference. Nothing visibly wrong with any additional circuitry.

I was wondering if there is anyway to conclude if it is actually the LED or the circuit that's bad. I checked the voltage of the 3 working ones and got about 2.9V. The faulty one was fluctuating at lower voltages. I also checked its resistance (in situ) and it gave a different reading to the other 3. I do not know whether to conclude from that, if it is the LED or not?????

I could just try switching two leds around but my soldering skills are not brilliant so would welcome any conclusions/tests.

Sponsored Links
if the unit actually works, leave it be i say

Or if you are picky, and have an iron......

Swap two LEDs over, or fit a new LED. They are pennies.

Have you read the instruction book? Just wondering if it actually means something i.e. your voltage is genuinely fluctuating as opposed to a faulty LED.

Sponsored Links
Have you read the instruction book? Just wondering if it actually means something i.e. your voltage is genuinely fluctuating as opposed to a faulty LED.

4th LED 100% charge
3rd LED 75% charge
2nd LED 50% charge
1st LED 25% charge

Even when the other 3 are lit it is the 2nd one that is flickering so definitely a fault.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back