broken concrete interlocking tile removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

So, I've got a few broken concrete tiles on my roof.
- They are interlocking.
- There is no offset on each row.
- The broken ones are not nailed

I get it that I need to wedge up the tile the the side to release the overlap/interlocking bit BUT in order to release the broken tile from the batten I also need to wedge the tile directly above it (as there is no offset) - which would mean resting the wedge on the tile I am trying to remove - so I'm not gonna be able to lift the broken tile off the batten cause the tile above is wedged on it.

Now I could wedge the tile next to the one above the broken one (top right of the broken tile) - none of this tile touches the broken one but it would lift the one directly above a bit - but I'm thinking this will snap the tile before I get enough leverage to remove the broken one as it putting all the force on the interlock bit of the one directly above the broken tile - so not sure about that....

Am I missing something cause everywhere I read just says slip in the wedges and off you go???

Sponsored Links
slide the tile above the broken one up, replace broken one, slide back down.

You could use a trowel to slide above tile back down so you dont hurt your fingers ;)

Provided the tile is not near a mortar bedded valley, hip or ridge then removal should be reasonably straight forward.

There is usually enough play to allow the tile to be lifted clear of the batten, lugs and all.

Thanks for the replies. So i got up there today and the sliding up method seemed to work a treat but typically I've opened a can of worms cause it became apparent my eaves felt has rotted quite badly due to some equally bad fascias. So now I'm thinking i need to do a proper job and replace the fascias/rotted felt - which means taking off, probably, 2 courses from the eaves. The problem is what about the ones on the verge that are bedded in mortar....

Do I get them off the mortar with an angle grinder or do it manually with a cold chisel. I'm concerned I'm gonna crack other tiles on the verge with the vibration of cold chisel and club hammer but who knows what i'll end up chopping up with an angle grinder! - if an angle grinder is the way forward would it normally be a 4 inch or 9 inch one i need to get through the depth or mortar bed - I can't reallly see how deep it goes

Also do I just need to write these tiles off as it's highly likely they will have mortar on the bottom, so just get new ones, or is it normal practice to clean them up with a bit of gentle patience and put them back on in a new bed of mortar.

And finally the verge ones appear to be nailed as well as mortared - how do I get these nails out cause I can't slide the tile above up - cause it's nailed!

any advice?????

Sponsored Links
Woops! Foot throught the felt eh ;)

Ok, if I were you I would take the ridge off at the top and remove the verge from the top tile down, otherwise being inexperienced you could damage your undercloak, brickwork or other tiles, you would unavoidably disturb the rest of the verge in replacing the bottom two tiles anyway.

You could re-use the old tilesbut for afewquis you could save time by just renewing them altogether. Plus all new look better than just one or two new.

Hi all

thanks for all the help. just to update I ended up getting a roofer in who sorted it all with nice shiny UPVC and fixed the roof tiles. good job, well done by someone who new a lot more than me!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back