Broken plaster everywhere

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. Long time watcher first time poster. Recently bought a house and had joiner install new facing and skirts. Problem is now they are narrower than the old ones so I'm left with gaps everywhere. I have no clue what to do. I am getting a plasterer to skim the walls so hoping he will fix most of it. Some bits have massive holes so I'm unsure what to do. I was thinking expanding foam but unsure if you can skim over it. Honestly any help would be massively appreciated

Sponsored Links
Maybe your plasterer will do some of it and for the bits he won't, will point out how it should be treated.

A combination of expanding foam carefuly applied so it won't push out the plaster, undercoat plaster, deep hole filler, even pieces of plaster board.

Blup

best practice is you should make good and skimwith no skirtins or archi's fixed in place.
loosen all elec device plates an pull them away from the surface.

to fill dents in masonry you can use sand and cement dollops.
leave any bad bits in stud walls or wood laths to the plasterer or you can make it well worse.

best practice is you should make good and skimwith no skirtins or archi's fixed in place.
loosen all elec device plates an pull them away from the surface.

to fill dents in masonry you can use sand and cement dollops.
leave any bad bits in stud walls or wood laths to the plasterer or you can make it well worse.
Good advice, having the architrave, skirtings and socket plates on will cost a fair amount extra in plastering and give poorer results

Sponsored Links
Just wondering, but should the joiner not have pointed out that this was going to be a ball ache to fix before he installed it?

The holes are no prob for a plasterer, its what they do!

What they dont normally do is have to skim upto architraves and skirting. What normally happens is the door linings stick out by 3mm and the plasterer uses that as a guide to plaster upto. So nice flat finish for the archtrave to go over.

Your plasterer will need to try and get the skim as even as possible and will have to run his float up to the back of the architrave. He wont be too pleased.

Your carpenter obviously pulled off the plaster getting the old archs / linings off, then fitted the new liners he had to get on with his day. Really he shouldve stopped, fitted wider linings and left off the archs.

Bonding in the bigger holes, skim over the lot

Just wondering, but should the joiner not have pointed out that this was going to be a ball ache to fix before he installed it?
Basically YES , unfortunately it's not in his interest to do so

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back