Broken plug - unable to empty bath

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have one of those 'fancy' plugs in my bath (partners choice not mine!) which works my turns the dial below the taps. Unfortunately the mechanism seems to either be broken or jammed, so the plug will not raise to allow the water to drain away. Anyone get any tips to get the mechanism working again?
Thx

Sponsored Links
Hi Gilski

This is probably a silly question but is there a screw on the inside of the plug and does it need adjusting? Or is it truly stuck. I would say just take it apart and fiddle with it, some silicone grease or similar might help.

If you are desperate to remove the water you could syphon it.That is assuming your bath is above ground level :idea:

Hi

Don't twist too hard or you will loosen the overflow fitting.

If it's been in for some time.
Could be limescale in the plug carrier.

Prise the plug out carefully.

Check the operation with plug removed by putting a screwdriver down and seeing if it lifts the screwdriver.

If it does.

Clean off limescale on the back of the plug and down the guide hole carefully. Smear Silicone grease down the hole.

When it is free it will rotate when plug closed.

Of course if this is a new installation this will not apply.

Hope this helps.

Sponsored Links
Use a plunger to lift (suck) the plug out of the plug-hole.

I'm with squeaky. Try to wiggle out the plug with your fingernails. It will have a bolt screwed into the bottom. This bolt is pushed upwards by a lever underneath when you turn the knob.

Turn the knob and see if the lever in the waste moves up.

If it does, unscrew the bolt enough that when it rests on the lever the plug is raised above its seating.

Then use the locknut to fix it tightly in position so it doesn't move about on the screw threads.

That's the usual trouble.

If the lever doesn't move, or there's no bolt, come back.

I'm with squeaky. Try to wiggle out the plug with your fingernails. It will have a bolt screwed into the bottom. This bolt is pushed upwards by a lever underneath when you turn the knob.

Turn the knob and see if the lever in the waste moves up.

If it does, unscrew the bolt enough that when it rests on the lever the plug is raised above its seating.

Then use the locknut to fix it tightly in position so it doesn't move about on the screw threads.

That's the usual trouble.

If the lever doesn't move, or there's no bolt, come back.
Hello. My quest for answers of a similar problem has brought me to this site and your response.
My story:
The installer has fitted the bathroom. My husband used the bath the first time; the plug worked as it should. I stepped in after him to take a shower, my foot accidentally pushed the plug in, the mechanism stopped working. The fitter was called back and his diagnosis was that the cable is broken (the lever inside the waste is not moving when the round handle is moved and the handle is twisting freely/loosely). He explained that he needs to damage the newly fitted and sealed bath panel to install a new waste. He added that this happens all the time to other customers, that I should have removed the plug first before taking a shower, so the easiest thing is to by a plug on a chain and forget the problem. I spoke to the company who sold me the goods; they suggested that it could have happened because the installers had “overtightened” the “thing”… not sure which part exactly. They are prepared to replace the waste but not the panel and the installer is charging extra to redo the whole job. (The new bathroom hasn’t gone live even 24 hours when the whole thing happened).
Please, can you help me understand what has actually happened (surely one has to be able to stand on it without it snapping straight away… Also, it doesn’t come with instructions “please remove before you shower”… ).
Who should take responsibility for what and what expense, if any, is fair for me to agree to?
I will be most grateful for your time and advice.

P.S. This bathroom is our first renovation project ever, carried out on little money that we have been saving for few years.
The waste is by VADO and it was added to our order by the supplier company, a bathroom showroom.

Thank you for pointing that out, Andy.
It’s a small, but a chance to get someone’s attention and get advice to our problem….

Perhaps, you would have a reasonable one?

The installer is wrong there should be no need to remove the plug before showering other than to let the water away, standing on should not be a problem. Either it has been badly designed or a badly installed can't tell which from here so manufacturer or installer. Also as Herts P & D says a non removable bath panel is a bad idea so whoever's decision to do that is partly responsible for your predicament. Something like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stopper-St...words=chrome+bath+plug&qid=1712551359&sr=8-24 is probably the easiest solution which one of them should pay for. Removing and reinstating the old one will not be simple but if he acknowledged that it is a common problem after the event he should have told you that before he installed it so in my opinion appears to carry most of the responsibility if he supplied the goods.

When my pop up plug stopped working, I used my valve seat grinding stick to get it out. Worked for months!

IMG_6287.jpeg

Someone needs to take responsibility. Vado are prepared to send a new one foc - they imo should be paying for the plumbers labour, however their get out clause is “it’s been over tightened”. The plumber should have told you that you need to remove the plug before showering, so not your fault and as rightly pointed out by @jj4091 you shouldn’t have to. Also I don’t believe the bath panel has to be damaged to remove it, unless it’s been installed too tight - not your problem again.

I would mention if the costs are to be met by yourself then you will be seeking to reclaim through the small courts. You have an installation that is not fit for purpose and is faulty.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back