Problem emptying the bath

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

Our bath has one of those 'remote control' plugs where you turn a knob on the side of the bath to open or close the plug.

The mechanism has been getting less and less effective - ie the plug hardly moves and needs to be physically removed in order to drain the bath.

Now it's so ineffective that I can't even get my fingernails under the plug to remove it. Forcing the knob doesn't work, and feels like it might break it off...

Any advice much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

M

Sponsored Links
These mechanisms use a cable to connect the turn button to the waste pop up.....some are possible to adjust, which effectively shortens the inner cable a small amount.
The plug itself may have a screw in its end, which bears down on the lifting rod, below.....check if it has one ( some fall out or corrode away).
Failing that, its bath panel off for a good look see.
John :)

John, thank you very much!

There is indeed a screw in the plug itself. Five seconds with a screwdriver and job done.

Again, thank you...

M

Sponsored Links
What it does mean though is the cable is possibly starting to stretch, tell everyone to go easy with the twisting or it'll just do it again until you have no adjustment left.

Those popup wastes are vile. The Bowden cable between the twist knob and the plughole is very sensitive to direction changes- the more bends in the cable, the less the plug pops up so the slower the bath drains. They're also not adjustable (which is a shame but there ya go)

I used to have those manual spring loaded pop up wastes in my basin and bath. Every now and then they got stuck and wouldn’t pop up and as said, you can’t even get your fingernails in there. My solution was to use my old valve grinding stick to pull them up. I thought it was a great idea. The wife thought different!

Also find the shaft of the pop up can corrode and stick, a bit of wet and dry usually sorts it out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back