broken pull cord

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have done the same thing, although I have snapped off the cord half way up as the sidding thing wouldn't click "on" this morning. Is this a "go to Homebase, buy a new one and fit it" type solution? if so, is this a "must switch the electricity off in the bathroom" first - as how can one do this in the dark?

Anyway, still miffed from the thing breaking this morning, but can I not open it up to see whats broken first?

please read the forum rules, your post has been split

Sponsored Links
With children or demented adults in the house fitting a weak link in the cord just below the switch may save the switch from any destructive urges in manic cord pullers.

kendra123 said:
as how can one do this in the dark?
You could try eating more carrots, or like me just use a torch :idea:
Yes, you do need to turn off the electric first!!

Get a armor cord they never break they are tested to 1 million pulls

Sponsored Links
Welcome D.Brown.

1) I can't see how they could replace anything other than the replaceable section of cord, so would they be of any value in stopping the cord breaking where it can't be replaced, i.e. inside the switch?

2) Are they available in the UK?

3) Kendra broke his cord because the switch failed, and he then pulled too hard. Would applying more force to the switch via a stronger cord have made the switch start to work again?

4) The OP is over 1 year old....

They are available on line i think and its acually is 2.5 times easier to start becuase of the way they lay flat on the pull.check the site out at ***Link Removed***

they look like they are designed for use as engine start pulls not switchpulls.

and as BAS says even if you could get switch pullcords made of such materials they wouldn't replace the bit that goes into the switch and isn't really replacable on most switches, nor would they strengthen up the switch mech itself.

D.Brown - are you aware of the differences between engines and light switches?

Have you ever seen either?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back