Broken Push Button Dimmer Switch??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks - see uploaded photos of my kitchen light switch

//www.diynot.com/diy/media/albums/light-switch.25467/

The push button dial serves the halogen ceiling lights - push the button in towards the socket to switch light on/pop it back in to switch off (spring loaded??). The other switch beside it serves the floor plinth lights. At the other side of the kitchen there is similar arrangement, but no dimmer, just two normal switches.

Basically, the ceiling lights wont go on; the floor lights are woking fine. None of the fuses are blown. It feels like the dial wont click when it is pushed in. How to fix it? Is it just a new 'black box' I need (which i think is the 'dimmer') or is it likely just a new spring or something required?

The black box is branded Scolmor Model MD9040

Once I disconnect the wires does the black box just pull off?

cheers

Sponsored Links
It's broken. The back is coming off.
This may not have any effect on the operation but...

Can you push it back on - screws/clips ???

yip, I was going to take the back of it off, but to get it fully off I would need to remove the wiring, but thought I'd avoid wasting my time and ask the question on here. It clips back in

ta

It's more likely little plastic bits that are worn or broken which stop the button working so probably not worth repairing.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back