Dimmer Switch Issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a kitchen dimmer switch set up - been working fine for years using non LED lights, works by pushing the switch in to turn on and push again to turn off. There is one other normal light switch at the other end of the kitchen. Trouble is now that when you try to push the dimmer in to work it will not do anything ie the lights do not come on, sometimes tho it does work but seems very hit and miss. Any ideas??

Sponsored Links
Most likely old and worn out. Can you feel the click as you push the knob?
2nd most likely is loose connection in the back of it

Thanks for the quick reply - no there is often no click when depressing the knob - is it just a spring that has gone or do you think I would need a whole new unit?

Probably cost a tenner for a new one, very likely old plastic has got brittle with age & heat in the old one-time to replace. Easy job- tools needed a multimeter to prove dead and a terminal driver.
Isolate, check dead, mark where the wires are on old switch (should be COM, L1, L2, unlikely to be a neutral in there), remove, connect to new switch, fix it back on the wall, power up.

EDIT when you buy your new one, make sure power rating is high enough for your needs.
EDIT 2 This one will probably do, there are others. You need 2 way. https://www.toolstation.com/click-mode-dimmer-switch/p86213

Sponsored Links
Thanks so much for your help and suggestions - really appreciated.

Why do you have a dimmer in the kitchen? It is a working environment where you need to see what you are doing.

Why do you keep asking that?

Because I cannot see why anyone would want to dim lights in what is effectively a workshop with dangerous sharp tools in use.

Why do you refuse to accept that people with dimmer switches have, and know how to exercise, the ability to set the lights to the brightness they need?

Why do you not understand that in a workshop with sharp tools one would not need to dim lights so it is pointless fitting a dimmer which is not the most reliable of electrical items.

Why do you think it is helpful to pretend that if someone has a dimmer switch they will struggle in a dimly lit environment instead of turning the lights up?

I never said they would. I am asking why fit a device that would not be used in that area when a normal switch is adequate.

Just what is wrong with you, and why do we have to suffer your repeated inanity?

There is nothing wrong with me. Please don't insult members by calling them insane. This is the sort of thing that earns you no respect with the mods.

Finally the question was directed at the OP not you. I suggest you MYOB and let the OP answer.

I have to agree that your reply was of no practical use whatsoever. A dimmer in the kitchen where there is an area to eat adds ambience, its not as if I am going to be working in the dark. If I need full light then i turn it up, if I want something less harsh i turn it down - I'm not an idiot. In my case the normal switch is not adequate, if it was then I would have fitted one, I'd suggest you stay out of these conversations if you don't have anything practical to add to the discussion.

Well you didn't say it was a kitchen/diner did you?

I don't believe asking was not practical, it could have saved you or your family from a nasty accident.

I am unsure if you have fitted LED lights or not? If not then likely a component is failing and it just needs changing, if it is LED then again likely needs changing for one compatible with LED.
I fully see how we have multi-function rooms, we actually do the laundry in our kitchen which is not really compatible with preparing food, it is also one of the two access/egress points in the house, and having back ground light to assist when entering to find light switch does make some sense, this house kitchen too small to eat there, however last house the kitchen was extended and although really the extension should be called a laundry/dinner we in fact simply call it a kitchen. Calling the old and new area kitchen and laundry/dinner is being pedantic, and anyway both served by same light switch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back