Broken Ring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I mentioned the other day in my thread about compressor wiring that I have a socket in the living room that has a disconnected cable due to having melted at some point in the past.

It has been playing on my mind a little since. Is this situation dangerous?

I susumu the danger lies in some one touching the disconnected cable but to do this anyway you would need to take the socket front off. I have put the phase conductor into a connector block just to be on the safe side. The other wires are melted too far back for me to put into a block.

I will now have 2 radial circuits instead of a ring. Is this an issue?

Thanks

D

Sponsored Links
Yes it is an issue. It sounds like the circuit that you have is a ring and the fuse/MCB will therefore be sized for a ring (32A?)
By disconnecting one half you have turned the circuit into a radial and (depending on the cable size) the fuse/MCB size for this needs to be lower or the cable can fry/catch light in the event of a fault.

You have two options
1. repair the cable - this is the proper way to do it
2. replace the fuse/MCB with a fuse appropriate for a radial - this will probably be 20amps depending on the cable size used for the circuit and the CPD options for your consumer unit.

Thanks.

There are bound to be multiple horror stories in my wiring. Need the spark out ASAP to,at least address this issue and sort my compressor out.

D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back