Broken Screw

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya everyone

I have just moved into our flat - not much floor space so i tried to put up a shelf :( I drill the holes and fitted the plugs (plastic). Whilst screwing the shelf into position a screw broke off in the plug.
Has anyone got ideas as to how i can remove it?

Sponsored Links
if their is anything left of the screw you can use pliers to turn what is left.

if not oh dear

There are things called (I think) Eazy-Outs (or something similar) these are a bit like chunky self-tappers with a LH thread; as they bite into (what's left of) your screw they turn it a/c and pull it out.

Alternatively, burrow around the plug 'til you can get hold of it and pull it out screw and all. You can then fill the (now oversized) hole and start again.

If I was faced with your problem, I would concentrate on the plastic plug as against the screw. I would heat up a piece of coat hanger wire with a blow lamp and melt away the plastic plug until the screw is loose.
Although I wouldn't need to because I have a miniture soldering iron that would do the same thing. Or you could place a larger soldering iron on the screw itself.
Mind you I've never been faced with this problem, but I'm confident it will work. If you try this let us know the result.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Can I also make the observation that if you managed to break one screw I would throw the rest of them away and buy some "proper" ones that will support your shelf properly and not shear when you tighten them up.

Make sure your screw driver isn't too big for the job as you can put some amazing torque onto screws if you try hard enough. The correct size screwdriver will minimise the possibility of this happening.

Good luck. :D

This normally happens when using wrong size rawlplug.

You could try using a metal drill bit to drill it out ? won't be easy...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back