Brown cental heating water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Decided to check the colour of my central heating (heating ) water.
After circulating then sampling the water (at the radiator drain off) water come out a transparent light brown colour without any solids.
I am a bit concern that this may be due to build up of corrosion. I was thinking of draining then adding X400 running for a few days draining then add inhibitor.
The boiler is a condensing combi.
Any thoughts /help gratefully appreciated.

Sponsored Links
This might be over the top and I’m sure I’ll be corrected very quickly but when I flushed my system prior to adding x400 in it, I changed the water a few times first, then added the x400, run it for a while and then flushed it several times before adding inhibitor. If you have the time and are capable, I’d suggest taking each rad off and flushing it through with a hose (in the garden) to clear out any sediment. Flush, shake, repeat until running clear.

If you have plastic pipe in the system it sometimes causes brown system water

Thanks for the reply was hoping to get away from having to remove all the radiators, but dont want to have corrosion problems either, hence drain the flush with X400 idea.

Sponsored Links
Slightly coloured system water isn't a problem. I would drain down and refill, and add bottle of corrosion inhibitor at the same time. While drained down, fit a magnetic filter (eg. Maglaclean Pro 2) to boiler's return pipe - and all your worries are over. (y)

I think fernox do water tests, send them sample.
how old is system, and last work done on it, some inhibitors do discolour water slightly

Cheers thanks for reply, may struggle to get a mag filter into the return with the limited room I have, could I get away with drain and lush as a yearly routine ?

the discolourisation might of come from new rads. as they idealy should be flushed out after installation..

get a water sample, send fernox, save you lots of trouble, then you will know what is happing whith sytem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back