Brown water from system only year and a half old

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a combi boiler and radiators that were fitted a year and a half a go. I went to bleed the radiators and brown water started to come out. I've been told by the guys who fitted them that you have to expect some discolouration from the steel radiators. They came round and put some inhibitor in. Surely they would have drained and filled the system when they fitted and checked the water was clear coming out.
Is this right, is it normal to expect some discolouration any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
AQABAACAAQAAAWoAAAAAAAAAAK89XQAAAAAAAWcAAAAAAFyD8AAAAAAAXT2vAAAAAABcg_A%3D

Attachments

• IMG_20201007_074345.jpg
    IMG_20201007_074345.jpg
    242 KB · Views: 123
they forgot to put inhibitor in i reckon otherwise it will go rusty.

unless softened water is installed, but i doubt that.

Thanks for the reply they've put inhibitor in now but would you recommend that it needs to be fully drained and filled or it'll be fine now it's got the inhibtor?

Sponsored Links
it'll be still be rusty water, but will now be fine.

to be honest it would probably have been ok without, the rust is caused by air in the system, which is caused from the impurities in natural water. inhibitor just stops this reaction, or at least reduces it.

Okay brilliant thanks for your help. Longterm is it going to have much of an effect on the system?

That is not right, it needs a chemical flush and inhibitor then added, that water is very contaminated, did they use PE pipe instead of copper

A mixture of the two it's copper going from the radiator and then under the floorboards going to the boiler is PE

That's not typical of water from boiler and radiators only 18 months old. I would be amazed if the system was cleaned correctly before the installation. Did they fit a magnetic filter ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back