brushed stainless accessories

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Will these rust if they get damp behind them? Being stainless steel I would think not, but I have seen brass switches rust before after a room was skimmed.

Sponsored Links
They shouldn't 'rust', but they may discolour, or the lacquer finish may discolour through contact with chemical laden moisture wicked up from the plaster or paint.

Most fitting manufacturers used to recommend allowing plaster and paintwork to fully dry / cure for several weeks before fitting metal accessories, but few installers have time to actually do that.

Brass naturally tarnishes anyway, so it's protected by a coat of clear lacquer. Trouble is, that same lacquer makes it impossible to clean them effectively when the brass does tarnish.

The last metal switch I fitted came with a clear plastic 'gasket' to sandwich between the switch plate and wall to stop the metal coming into direct contact with the plaster.

If they truly are stainless then they should be ok, but stainless steel is an expensive metal, so the majority of 'stainless' accesories are not actually made from stainless.

Sponsored Links
The clue is in the name - 'stainless' means that it will stain less, not that it will be stain free !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back