Brushes

I'm all for making life easier - especially having to do another coat. I'll give the oil one a go when I get the chance. Does any additive make outdoor gloss keep it's weather proofing capacity up? These new paints seem to age quicker.?

Sponsored Links
Does any additive make outdoor gloss keep it's weather proofing capacity up? These new paints seem to age quicker.?

Do you mean the new Dulux trade weathershield or other brands? I haven't used it yet. Summer was too short...

Fortunately I still have some pre 2010 left.

I don't know of any additivies that will help increase longevity. Sorry.

when you say that they age do you mean that the sheen goes faster?

opps,

Could I ask you to clear up my confusion. You frequently refer to using "Owatrol" as an additive but Owatrol is a brand name for a company providing many products.

When you refer to an additive "when applying the first coat of oil based eggshell" do you mean Owatrol Oil, namely this:
http://www.owatrol.com/index.php?langue=en&page=produits-rustol-owatrol

PS On your recommendation I've already bought Floetrol, this:
http://www.owatrol.com/index.php?langue=en&page=produits-floetrol
which I'm expecting to use with emulsion

Sponsored Links
hi malshep

The link that you provided is the product that i am refering to. Owatrol oil by the firm called owatrol, also known as penetrol oil in other countries.

Under normal circumstances, I only use the floetrol when cutting in rather than rolling emusion. Primarilly because of cost

It is invalluable for using with waterbased eggshells. I recently turned up on site to paint a front door with Farrow and Ball Eggshell- which sadly is now waterbased. Without floetrol I would have been cursing.

If I had to live witout one of the two then I would opt to keep the owatrol- but then the lion's share of my work is painting mdf in oil based eggshell

Hi Joe-

thanks for the heads up- didn't know that there is now an exterior sheen problem as well as all the other sh!t with the 2010 paints. Will see what I can come up with but it might take a few weeks.

How much does that stuff reduce drying times by?

The time to reach touch dry is pretty much unchanged when using Owatrol, unless you use bucket loads.

Wet edge time is increased by minutes rather than hours but then you wouldn't want to spend an hour trying to lay paint off.

I don't know how much the terebene increases the drying time but i know that if I don't use it (regardless of whether I have added owatrol or not) the paint is too tacky to sand properly the next day.

It goes without saying that the more you use of each product the greater the reaction/result.

Owatrol is the same oil that you see sitting on the top of oil based paint in the tin that has been left standing for ages.

When you first use Owatrol you keep adding it until the paint reaches the flow rate that you want. On very hot/arid days and very cold/damp days I find that I need to add more.

Incidentally I also use it neat to harden MDF that has been water damaged and gone punky (furry). It also has anti rusting features (when used neat) but i seldom paint metal.

5L will pretty much last me a year.

These new 2010 paints are really not acceptable are they, you would have thought that the technology available within the industry would have given us a far better product.

It really is a poor show that we have to resort to useing additives to try and achieve anything like a quality finish.

Dec.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back