Brussels pulls plug on old light bulbs

It seems sensible to change over to energy saving light bulbs as soon as possible, but the fact we are being foced to do this will not go down well with the consumer.

If the directive had come from our own Government rather then Brussels, this would all have gone down better.

Sponsored Links
hope they design ones that run on dimmers or by triac control before they enforce this.

tim west said:
hope they design ones that run on dimmers or by triac control before they enforce this.
Its possible to dim fluorescent lamps, but only with the proper kit - you'd need a dimmable ballast with a permenant supply of 230v to it, as well as the variable switched live. Of course there are CFL switch-dimmable versions, but these rely on the operator having been trained in using the thing, and they aren't a very elegant solution.

Sponsored Links
Crafty said:
tim west said:
Its possible to dim fluorescent lamps, but only with the proper kit - you'd need a dimmable ballast with a permenant supply of 230v to it, as well as the variable switched live. Of course there are CFL switch-dimmable versions, but these rely on the operator having been trained in using the thing, and they aren't a very elegant solution.
yes aware of the kits but the manufacturers need to make them as a direct replacement for incandescent lamps, can't see that happening too quick.

That is the trouble with being in Europe.Brussels makes the rules and we have to obey.
As our politicians are on a green crusade,why don't they take VAT off of green items.That way I would believe that they are sincere.It just I can't believe this Government.I think they just need any excuse to squeeze more money out of as.I'm not saying that we should not be doing more to help the enviroment . Best regards.

rommy said:
That is the trouble with being in Europe.Brussels makes the rules and we have to obey.
As our politicians are on a green crusade,why don't they take VAT off of green items.That way I would believe that they are sincere.It just I can't believe this Government.I think they just need any excuse to squeeze more money out of as.I'm not saying that we should not be doing more to help the enviroment . Best regards.
I have sympathy with what you are saying but in the end I suppose it boils down to personal beliefs and how much you feel you should help towards living on this planet. I just feel some times things are done in haste without full consideration to the impact of such desicions, it will leave lots of people with redundant kit in their houses, is this the "sacrifice" being asked of us?

I think we all should do everything we can to slow down or .if we can,stop global warming.

Sponsored Links
Back