BS 1363 UK 3 pin plug-why Earth pin cannot be half insulated

But what is the point in even considering half insulating it in the first place?

Sponsored Links
Most forms of connector incorporate a shroud that will prevent fingers etc. coming into contact with the pins once it is aligned with a socket, but before the pins are inserted into the socket (eg 'commando' plugs, kettle plugs, schuko plugs etc.) This is a feature lacking in the original design of the BS 1363 plug and socket, which the insulated pins are designed to address.

Regardless of whether it is actually a violation (I suspect it is but the only way to find out for sure would be to buy a copy of BS1363) a half insulated earth pin sounds like it was made by someone who didn't know what they were doing and I would be very suspicious of the compliance of any products from that source.

Sponsored Links
Yeah, the live pins are insulated, tho I fail to see the risk which would be removed by half insulating the earth pin?

'commando' plugs

Are those the ones that don't wear underwear?

PS Numerical Spark - neither do I!

[(1) If the plug is half plugged into the wall, and there's a power surge etc causing current flowing through the earth, half insulated earth pin in this case is useful (the person wont get full blown shock if he/she is touching it).

(2) But, contradictingly, if there's a high current flowing through the earth and the pin is half-insulated with plastic, then the plastic will potentially melt and cause hazzard. May be that' why the earth should be full metal?

I believe (2) is likely to happen more than (1)...

2x (MT) - Have you been imbibing??

oh dear, here we go

For a start you shouldn't really have your fingers the wrong side of the plug... one day you'll come across one without the plastic coating on the live pins....

(1) If the plug is half plugged into the wall, and there's a power surge etc causing current flowing through the earth, half insulated earth pin in this case is useful (the person wont get full blown shock if he/she is touching it).

If there is an earth fault on the applicance, then there is probably other metalwork around that'll rise a few volts in relation to the physical earth for a short duration, the class 1 appliance cases, class 1 socket outletss, etc. We consider EEBADS sufficent to protect persons from this danger

(2) But, contradictingly, if there's a high current flowing through the earth and the pin is half-insulated with plastic, then the plastic will potentially melt and cause hazzard. May be that' why the earth should be full metal?
Aside from the fact that it'd affect the phase pin equaly... and I'm sure you have never seen an insulation failure in an applicance melt a plug into a socket outlet by virtue of melted plastic on the pins.... :LOL: ... logic tells you it just wouldn't happen, even given the higher resistance of brass compared to copper and the nearby contact resistance, the fault level needed to melt plastic off a 32mm² earth pin would have a similar effect on the circuit conductors! :LOL:

I believe (2) is likely to happen more than (1)...
Well (2) is just not going to happen in the real world... ;)

One reason may be that the manufacturing to produce a half insulated pin for the earth would only add to the time, cost and complexity of the process.

Another reason live & neutral pins are insulated is that a 1p peice wedges nicely between the pins and a few years back there was a spate of incidents when some kids thought it would be funny to wedge pennys into the pins and watch people plug them in and go pop!

Just a little useless information for you. :D

Another reason live & neutral pins are insulated is that a 1p peice wedges nicely between the pins and a few years back there was a spate of incidents when some kids thought it would be funny to wedge pennys into the pins and watch people plug them in and go pop!

Just a little useless information for you. :D
This is also why the live pin is at the top - if L and N were at the top, as you say, a metal object could be dropped between them.

This is still an issue on American plugs, which have neither half-insulated pins, nor an earth pin at the top. :rolleyes:

I remember an incident while at junior school.

A classmate was having difficulty removing a plug form a socket, so thought a handy pair of scissors would be an ideal lever to ease the plug out.

Non shrouded pins, bang metled scissors.

Seems a pretty good testament to shrouded pins.

Here is an american one

photo151.jpg

Hi guys,

All joking apart - yes, this IS a big problem. There are loads of these dodgy power cords being imported from China.

They are non-compliant with BS1363.

The problem is, in some sockets - I discovered the problem with MK ones on my workbench - the earth contacts can grip the plastic, not the metal, and the appliance is unearthed.

I came to no harm because there was no earth fault, but this is potentially dangerous.

Alan Robinson.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back