BS Colour Match - What should I expect?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had a Dulux tester pot of BS 630 French Grey made locally and this has matched to my requirements for a garage door. I needed paint for the metal door and gave the same BS number for a 2.5 litre tin of Combicolour but the colour is very different to the tester pot - more of a blue grey than a green grey. Should I accept this or should I expect what I thought I'd get. I've actually painted the whole door and it isn't exactly right (to match my windows also BS630) and I'm wondering if I'm justified in going back to the shop where I ordered the paint? Thanks anyone!

Sponsored Links
As colours can fade/change over time you would have been better to match your new colour to the actual windows colour rather than the BS.

The windows are new, and so I thought to get a perfect match for the garage door that if you ordered a BS colour then it would be exactly the same 'standard' in the same way that a pantone ref gives you the same colour. I wish I'd never spent the £38 now and simply used the closest Farrow & Ball I could find ... and I've still got about 1.5 litres left of the Combicolour! :(

Just re-read your first post, are you saying the tester colour was different to the pot of paint you ended up with then? If so they've cocked up haven't they?

Sponsored Links
Yes that's right, the 2.5ltr pot seems to have too much grey in it. Not sure whether you should expect variations with different manufacturers - wanted to check before I go back to the shop as the staff there were real 'jobs-worths' and I know will try and fob me off because anything more than that would be too much trouble!

If you got the tester and the pot of paint from the same shop then of course they should match.

Did they make the colour with the machine in the shop ?. I once needed 2.5 litres of a certain colour to match existing paint for a customer and when they mixed it they put the colourant in for 5 litres instead of 2.5 and obviously it turned out much darker.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back