BSA Hotspur Oil Burner Help required.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Time for probably a silly question. :oops:
I currently have a Hotspur oil burner which i know needs replaced but funds are low . The thermostat has gone (i think) the burner runs about 25 to 30 times an hour , and I have to turn the thermostat down or the boiler sounds like a kettle that is just about to stop boiling. I was wondering is it possible to connect a Cylinder Thermostat to the return pipe to boiler and connect it instead of the thermo. I will try and attach pictures of the thermo etc they are in my photo album.
Any help would be great including a wiring diagram for the inside of the boiler etc!!

Many thanks in advance

Jonathan

215000_214656_74022_23728744.jpg

215000_214656_74023_36497223.jpg

Sponsored Links
These things are ancient I believe.

Whats a "thermo"?

Sponsored Links
The thermostat on the boiler is in the heat exchanger, which will accurately control the temperature of the water in the system/boiler.

I don't know but.......I wouldn't of thought an external one would suffice.

That's an old one Joe, we were fitting these in the early 70s when I started my time. Regardless, the thermostat pocket maybe standard 1/2" BSP or a standard size that a thermostat will fit into.

Post up a photo & we'll see what we think..... ;)

Sounds more like a system flow problem!

Tony

To all, many thanks for replies so far. My pics are in this photoalbum (not sure why they are not showing)
[/url]//www.diynot.com/network/joe90bentley/albums/ If I am thinking this the right...][/GALLERY] [GALLERY=media, 74024][/GALLERY]

I'd like to think you could get a new boiler thermostat, but the important thing is to establish what size & where the sensor for the stat is?
Photo of that would help.
HTH

If you follow the capillary from behind the knob in your left hand picture, it will lead to the thermostat pocket from which you can withdraw the phial. If you measure this, diameter and length, you should be able to find an alternative at a stockists.
Alternatively, a clamp on thermostat on the FLOW pipe needs only to pick up the two wires attached to the thermostat which is the unit with the knob on in your left hand picture.

further update -
getting a cylinder thermostat fitted this week - will update how it goes in case other people need info

To all who replied many thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back