BT cancelled my e-mail account for not paying the bill.

Yeah, thanks for that. snico. I'm familiar with Dickydoody and his silly ways. It's just being called a liar by dickheads that prompts me to justify my comments.
Still, my advice to Dickydoody: keep trying, you're nearly there, not long now before you've grasped the concept of the written language. Just think how wide your horizons will become when you can think and write intelligibly.

Sponsored Links
It seems strange that you home computer had x2 3.5" drives, and an external 5.25" drive. I don't recall any IBM computer at that age, being equipped with an internal 3.5" drive, never mind x2, as the internal space was required for the internal hdisk.

Many of those older IBM desktop machines had two full-height bays, side by side. Fit half-height drives and you could have four drives, in various combinations of floppy or hard disks.

In the latter half of the 1980's I had an XT clone which with half-height drives all round had a hard drive, tape drive, and two 5.25" floppy drives in the four available positions.

Or you could even use a hard-disk fitted on an ISA card with its own controller, usually at the expense of an adjacent ISA slot being unavailable, or usable only for a short card.

Anyone remember using BB's before the net was mainstream? 300 baud or 1200/75 viewdata? :D I used to run one with a BBC micro ,2 X 5.25" drives and a ZModem. :mrgreen:

Small boys using jumpers for goalposts... Them were the days.

Off topic I know, but good to reminisce and try and avert yet another locked thread. ;)

Sponsored Links
Anyone remember using BB's before the net was mainstream? 300 baud or 1200/75 viewdata?

Certainly - RBBS, CBBS, WildCat, I seem to recall one which ran on the Apple II (ABBS or something like that?), and of course many were linked for mail exchange via FidoNet. Some are still about, although these days you can Telnet into them via multiple ports instead of having to daemon-dial for 30 minutes into a single line in the hope of getting a connection.

A lot of my access was with a kit-built Acorn Atom, then a BBC B which was running through a 300 bps home-built modem. Stepping up to 1200 bps seemed like it was flying!

But the Op states he was using email before it was invented. Denies the dates when various technology was invented, and receives a bill from a supplier, that he hasn't got. Then carries on to IR technology that wasn't invented.

Then changes his statement that he had a computer with 2 x 3.5" drives, to only having one drive, plus an external 5.25" drive..

The computer he states, hasn't room for the drives suggested by other users, so time to admit, a touch of bull in your post.

But the Op states he was using email before it was invented. Denies the dates when various technology was invented, and receives a bill from a supplier, that he hasn't got. Then carries on to IR technology that wasn't invented.

Then changes his statement that he had a computer with 2 x 3.5" drives, to only having one drive, plus an external 5.25" drive..

The computer he states, hasn't room for the drives suggested by other users, so time to admit, a touch of bull in your post.

Morelike; a lot of imagination and wishful thinking in yours!

You've proven time and again that you're incapable of reading and understanding what has been written. You then compound your problem with an inability to write intelligibly.

I now understand why you are unemployable. Because you're incapable of understanding what has been written. You can only see what you want to have beeen written and convince yourself of that.

In other posts you have written complete drivel, then accuse others of the inability to spell.
You seem to have the amazing ability to recognise your faults, but, and here is the amazing bit, you think that those faults are evident in everyone else, but not you.

It must appear to you that you are the only sane poster and everyone else are the mad ones!

But the Op states he was using email before it was invented.

No, he states he was using it about 20 years ago. I can't speak for the specific history of Talk21, but e-mail has been around a good few years longer than that. Since well before DNS and names like talk21.com in fact.

Denies the dates when various technology was invented
Are you referring to the 3.5-inch floppy drives? They were in quite widespread use by the early 1990's. I can't recall the precise year they first appeared without looking it up, but they were certainly around and being installed quite widely in desktop systems by the mid-to-late 1980's. I added an external 3.5-in. drive to the system I mentioned above sometime by about 1988 or 1989.

Then carries on to IR technology that wasn't invented.
What IR technology do you think wasn't around about 20 years ago?

The computer he states, hasn't room for the drives suggested by other users
Maybe I missed it, but I don't see a reference to anything beyond an "IBM desktop." As already noted, many had space for at least four half-height drives.

Thanks for that Paul, especially the time taken to analyze the specific allegations made.

TBH, I couldn't be arsed to argue with him anymore, it's a bit like pushing treacle uphill. You know it's technically feasible, but somehow there's some impenetrable barrier.

I'm impressed by his delusions though. Because he's got a bit of kit missing from his collection, (I'm referring to his colection of old PCs), he's convinced himself that it couldn't have existed. That is impressive.

No, he states he was using it about 20 years ago. I can't speak for the specific history of Talk21, but e-mail has been around a good few years longer than that. Since well before DNS and names like talk21.com in fact.

I had an internet email address in 1991 at Uni, so it's been around since before then, I'm sure I wasn't the first ;).

Used to use tin and rn to read Usenet and Gopher to search before the world wide web came along. Everything was text based.

We were using Compaq clones with dual 3 1/2 inch drives back then.

However 20 years seems a bit too long to have had a Talk21 email address, but I think they've been around for at least ten years, so it could be true.

I had an internet email address in 1991 at Uni, so it's been around since before then, I'm sure I wasn't the first ;).

Used to use tin and rn to read Usenet and Gopher to search before the world wide web came along. Everything was text based.

We were using Compaq clones with dual 3 1/2 inch drives back then.

However 20 years seems a bit too long to have had a Talk21 email address, but I think they've been around for at least ten years, so it could be true.

It would be common at a University, to have some type of email address, on the dumb terminals attached to the mainframe, of said Uni, at that time, that's where it was implemented. But most other computers at the time only had dial up, and access to telnet etc..I think times are being slightly skewed, I really don't recall 3.5" disk drives around that time? At best 3" drives? Plus the 5.25", 8", etc...

Can you pick from this line up, which computer has x4 drive bays, and access to a hdisk?

Link rather than pics. Sorry, but I prefer to maintain site bandwidth.

http://www.old-computers.com/museum/company.asp?st=1&l=I

It would be common at a University, to have some type of email address, on the dumb terminals attached to the mainframe, of said Uni, at that time, that's where it was implemented. But most other computers at the time only had dial up, and access to telnet etc.

Dial-up services could also give access to e-mail, sometimes "directly" to something like a university system, or sometimes via one of the commercial providers (CompuServe et al) which had portals to the wider internet.

I think times are being slightly skewed, I really don't recall 3.5" disk drives around that time? At best 3" drives? Plus the 5.25", 8", etc...

The 8" diskettes were in use by the early 1970's, followed by the 5.25" mini-diskettes somewhere around the middle part of the decade. The 3.5" disks made their debut sometime around the mid-1980's. The 3" disks were also in use in the 1980's, probably most remembered in this country for being adopted on the Amstrad PCW and similar systems.

Can you pick from this line up, which computer has x4 drive bays, and access to a hdisk?

You could start right back with the original PC (model 5150) and XT (5160), both of which had two full-height bays, which obviously could hold four half-height drives. As I mentioned earlier, I used an XT clone for a good few years in which those four slots were occupied by two 5.25" drives, a 20MB hard disk, and a tape drive. But if you really wanted to add another drive with removable media, it was possible to get a hard disk mounted on an ISA card.

And while you're looking at that list, check the specification for the IBM PS/1 of 1990 - Fitted with a 3.5" drive as standard.

Sponsored Links
Back