BT cancelled my e-mail account for not paying the bill.

dosnt matter who owns what ...its about bt/hotmail/gmail & how they work..I have a virgin email & bt email do I use them? Why would I want to?..
There are lots of people who change a SP & then move there email address & then email everyone & tell them WHY.

Sponsored Links
You seem to be missing the point of my indignation DIYisfun, I had the Talk21 e-mail account for something like 20 years, never changed it, never had to pay for it.
I've said "Thanks but no thanks" to many offers of e-mail, preferring to keep my Talk21 account.

I'm angry now that it's been suspended for non-payment of some imaginary bill! No chance of forwarding e-mails, no chance of advising others of a change of e-mail address.
Had I been advised that a charge was being introduced I would have moved. I wasn't advised, I wasn't even sent an invoice.

Afer eventually finding out that the account had been suspended (I wasn't even told that! It was just that my password wasn't working), they offfered me a payment solution, via credit/debit card over the phone, or to take up BT Broadband.
Obviously I told 'em where to stick it.

I can not understand why people want bt / virgin or whoever accounts.
Get gmail/hotmail,yahoo

Quite a lot of sites won't allow you to register a web based email account (as in Gmail, yahoo, hotmail etc) They insist that you use an email address provided by your ISP. Reason being, abuse of the system, internet fraud, etc.
Simples

Personally, I think all sites should insist on email addresses provided by ISP's

Sponsored Links
Firstly, people say that they have had email accounts for over 20 years, or 'before the internet existed'.

2nd They claim that these services were provided for free.

SO how is the OP a customer of BT, that provides these services for free for before the internet, in general use, existed?

And how are the services provided by BT, as the service provider, deemed 'free'..?

How did you access the internet? on your Windows less computer, that only had telnet, dial up, no email invented whatsoever? Or were you using mainframes to access the web?

Well lots of providers offer / offered free email accounts - sometimes they get the return in more roundabout ways than direct payment ie advertising or market share etc.

I had a talk21 account and it was free, although I'm not sure if it was exactly 20 years ago, might be more like 8 :)

Probably not the most sympathetic reply you've had, but:

You've had a free email account for 20 years, which was supported for some time after the original company was bought out - and you're complaining?

I do get that it's inconvenient, and not being warned /is/ a bit pants (Are you sure you weren't? Perhaps the email went in your spam folder?) - but if the address is important to you, pay the 16 quid and carry on using it.

I did when I wanted to keep a btinternet email acct after I moved to another isp and my access was denied. Didn't feel then that I was being unfairly treated. Email is one area of british telecomms where BT does not have an advantage, use that choice.

Firstly, people say that they have had email accounts for over 20 years, or 'before the internet existed'.

Dopey Plonker of the highest magnitude. RTFP
I said something like "maybe 20 years or so".
But, being the fastidious person that I am, I still keep my diaries, as an 'aide memoire', the earliest one going back to 1993 and then I was Project Managing the installation and rollout of a WAN POS system for about 35 establishments in the West Midlands area. On top of that WAN system I Project Managed the rollout of a Lotus Notes e-mail system. I was definitely using e-mail outside of the organisation before the rollout of e-mail internally.

If you don't pay for it, it's free. Or have you not grasped the advent of currency yet? Are you still bartering?

SO how is the OP a customer of BT, that provides these services for free for before the internet, in general use, existed?

And how are the services provided by BT, as the service provider, deemed 'free'..?
Gobbledy-gook, and not worthy of a response.
If you really want people to respond to your posts, you'll need to take a little care over your sentence construction and semantics.

How did you access the internet? on your Windows less computer, that only had telnet, dial up, no email invented whatsoever? Or were you using mainframes to access the web?

My first use of PCs was Spectrums and ZX81, perhaps late 70s or early 80s. Definitely, early to mid 80s I was using Commodores with printers and tape m/cs attached for all the usual stuff. Later, about mid '80s while doing my degree with OU, I was submitting assignments for marking, using PCs at various Uni's. Probably, only a couple of years after that was my first IBM desktop at home, with 2 X 3.5" disk drives and an external 5.25" drive. Cost about £1500 working on DOS. This also may have been my first recollection of Windows (3.x)
I can't pinpoint when my fist dial-up connection was at home, but very early '90s I suspect.
I also remember accessing e-mail via the TV and Sky, using a wireless keyboard, but it was so slow it didn't last. That was possibly early 90s.
That was about 20 years ago, or don't they have calendars in your cloud cuckoo land?

You've prob clicked on some agreement for a change in the terms and conditions. Where by they can charge for the service if they wish.

Dopey Plonker of the highest magnitude. RTFP
I said something like "maybe 20 years or so".
But, being the fastidious person that I am, I still keep my diaries, as an 'aide memoire', the earliest one going back to 1993 and then I was Project Managing the installation and rollout of a WAN POS system for about 35 establishments in the West Midlands area. On top of that WAN system I Project Managed the rollout of a Lotus Notes e-mail system. I was definitely using e-mail outside of the organisation before the rollout of e-mail internally.

If you don't pay for it, it's free. Or have you not grasped the advent of currency yet? Are you still bartering?

Gobbledy-****, and not worthy of a response.
If you really want people to respond to your posts, you'll need to take a little care over your sentence construction and semantics.

My first use of PCs was Spectrums and ZX81, perhaps late 70s or early 80s. Definitely, early to mid 80s I was using Commodores with printers and tape m/cs attached for all the usual stuff. Later, about mid '80s while doing my degree with OU, I was submitting assignments for marking, using PCs at various Uni's. Probably, only a couple of years after that was my first IBM desktop at home, with 2 X 3.5" disk drives and an external 5.25" drive. Cost about £1500 working on DOS. This also may have been my first recollection of Windows (3.x)
I can't pinpoint when my fist dial-up connection was at home, but very early '90s I suspect.
I also remember accessing e-mail via the TV and Sky, using a wireless keyboard, but it was so slow it didn't last. That was possibly early 90s.
That was about 20 years ago, or don't they have calendars in your cloud cuckoo land?

Your replies are pure fiction. You say you are a 'customer', that has never been billed, for a service that didn't exist in the timeframe you state. So how are you a customer?? Why would your provider, provide these services for free, as you clearly state, that you are a customer. A customer pays for a service.

It seems strange that you home computer had x2 3.5" drives, and an external 5.25" drive. I don't recall any IBM computer at that age, being equipped with an internal 3.5" drive, never mind x2, as the internal space was required for the internal hdisk.. Then the next - You were accessing email via TV and Sky in the early '90's, via wireless keyboards..? Sky and BSB hadn't merged by then, Sky was analogue, and the internet as we know it didn't exist. Windows 3.11 was released in 1992, you state you were using DOS.

I collect and keep old computers, what you write is a total fabrication. You must have a bad bad memory. As had your IBM PS/2.

The only device that had internet connection, later released was the Philips CDi computer, that had a wireless keyboard/controller system...really ahead of it's time..but failed, like your lies.

The internet started development in the late 60's by the development of Arpanet for the US military. Subsequently developed further in various forms Telnet, Janet NSFnet etc. The development of TCP/IP protocols started in 1974, but it wasn't until 1988 that NSFnet was opened to other networks, thus bringing about a great change in the use of the internet to provide communications between networks.
The internet as we know it, came about in the early 90's Tim Berners Lee invented it in 1989 and the development came under the auspices of CERN called the World Wide Web project. So mid 90's is when the earliest use of the internet as we know it would have been happening. ;) ;)

Or accept BT have taken over the service and pay the bill...............

Or accept BT have taken over the service and pay the bill...............

Or agree that this post is nonsense, made up by the OP claiming that they had access to the internet before it existed.

Your replies are pure fiction. You say you are a 'customer', ......

FFS. RTFP Dickydoody, I've never said I'm a customer of BT, quite the opposite, and stop imagining things.

It seems strange that you home computer had x2 3.5" drives, and an external 5.25" drive. I don't recall any IBM computer at that age, being equipped with an internal 3.5" drive, never mind x2, as the internal space was required for the internal hdisk..
I couldn't give a rat's arse what you can or can't recall.
I've checked my dates on my certificates. MY OU degree was completed in 1991. I'd been using my own desktop, at home, equipped with one standard 3.5" floppy drive and one additional 3.5" floppy drive, (they had bays, even in those days) plus an external 5.25", for at least the last three or four years of my degree, which the final year was Data Modelling and Databases, including SQL. Previous years had been programming in PASCAL and other languages, and Systems Behaviour.
About 1987/8/9 I was using my home PC to record and model data for my job in Lotus 123.
Then the next - You were accessing email via TV and Sky in the early '90's, via wireless keyboards..? Sky and BSB hadn't merged by then, Sky was analogue,
Yes, accessing e-mail via wireless keyboard and TV, possibly as early as 1992, but I can't pinpoint an exact date.
Totally irrelevant whether sky had merged with BSB.

Windows 3.11 was released in 1992, you state you were using DOS.
Precisely. PC came equipped with DOS, onto which I later loaded Windows. I'm confident that was before Summer 1992.
I collect and keep old computers, what you write is a total fabrication. You must have a bad bad memory.
The only device that had internet connection, later released was the Philips CDi computer, that had a wireless keyboard/controller system...really ahead of it's time..but failed, like your lies.

I don't really care what you collect, I have Certificates, which I can scan into my profile, from such bodies as OU, CTEC, showing that, at least, I was designing, constructing and managing databases prior to 1990. One from Microsoft for 1995. Even records of a Dataease course and a Lotus 123 course attended in 1988.
I can't, unfortunately, prove that I was using e-mail via the internet in the early 1990s, but then I don't need to. I don't give a hoot whether you believe me or not. Your confidence is of such little value, I doubt if anyone is bothered.

I repeat, I have been using e-mail for about 20 years or so and the Talk21 e-mail account was my first external e-mail account.
Can I be precise about when exactly when that was, no I can't but I'm confident it was in the early 90s. How can I be so confident, because I moved house in Summer '92 and I have recollections about what I was doing in which house.
Even if it was 1992 that I first started using e-mail, my initial statement that I have been using e-mail for about 20 years or so is still as accurate as "about, or so" can be.

Take no notice of Mickymoody, he gets lots of things wrong and then starts changing the argument to suit.

Sponsored Links
Back