bt charges

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi i had to call talktalk about a fault on my phone line. they sent out bt engineer. fault was found outside my property before cable reached master socket.could anyone advise me if i should have been charged for this repair.as i have been billed £123.00 pounds for this.many thanks

Sponsored Links
If the wiring was damaged before the nte5 (master socket) then the Openreach engineer will charge your service provider who then may charge you .

Why do you say that Tomy?

If the fault was outside the premises and before the NTE5 than it is BT responsibility. BT provide the service line and talktalk " rent usage " on it.[/b]

Sponsored Links
I am an openreach engineer so I know what we are told to charge for . Ie if you are fed from a pole and your wire goes through a tree in your garden and that wire goes faulty it is your fault as your tree has damaged our cable hence we can now charge for it . ie if our nte5 socket is faulty in your house we will charge for it as there is no reason for it to go faulty unless its damp which again is your fault .

I am an openreach engineer so I know what we are told to charge for . Ie if you are fed from a pole and your wire goes through a tree in your garden and that wire goes faulty it is your fault as your tree has damaged our cable hence we can now charge for it . ie if our nte5 socket is faulty in your house we will charge for it as there is no reason for it to go faulty unless its damp which again is your fault .
Oh how I wish I could design/make something that is so perfect, I would not be here at this time of the morning reading such drivel.

It may sound like drivel but that is what we are told to charge for

What Openreach charge Talktalk for, and what Talktalk charge the customer for, are two completely separate things.

The customer needs to refer to their contract with Talktalk.

It may sound like drivel but that is what we are told to charge for
To be honest as ex Gpo/Bt that doesn't in the least surprise me,and is probably true.
If you had water leaking underground on your property your problem,if your electric meter/consumer unit was covered in water your problem, if you have an internal gas leak your problem.
I can however see a problem with U/G feeds to houses, and the damp problem for Nte's ( they are not waterproof/ sealed.)

I am an openreach engineer so I know what we are told to charge for . Ie if you are fed from a pole and your wire goes through a tree in your garden and that wire goes faulty it is your fault as your tree has damaged our cable hence we can now charge for it . ie if our nte5 socket is faulty in your house we will charge for it as there is no reason for it to go
again is your fault .

I worked for BT and I know that they had some funny ideas regarding charges when I worked for them but your post doesn't make sense.If the D/W has gone faulty because it has been run through a tree thats not the subs fault .If the engineer renews the subs D/W from the pole to repair it according to your reply the engineer would have to reroute the D/W to avoid it going thro the tree again.Nte's do go faulty through engineers not drilling thro walls at an angle or not looping the D/W below the entry hole into the premises and thus allowing rain water running down the D/W to enter the back of the NTE ect.

I am an openreach engineer so I know what we are told to charge for . Ie if you are fed from a pole and your wire goes through a tree in your garden and that wire goes faulty it is your fault as your tree has damaged our cable hence we can now charge for it . ie if our nte5 socket is faulty in your house we will charge for it as there is no reason for it to go
again is your fault .

I worked for BT and I know that they had some funny ideas regarding charges when I worked for them but your post doesn't make sense.If the D/W has gone faulty because it has been run through a tree thats not the subs fault .If the engineer renews the subs D/W from the pole to repair it according to your reply the engineer would have to reroute the D/W to avoid it going thro the tree again.Nte's do go faulty through engineers not drilling thro walls at an angle or not looping the D/W below the entry hole into the premises and thus allowing rain water running down the D/W to enter the back of the NTE ect.

If the dropwire goes through a tree and rubs it you should now fit a tree rub sleeve over the dropwire,the dropwire should have a drip loop and the entrance hole should be filled with silicon sealant,most damp problems on nte`s are caused by the nte being fitted to a damp cold external wall,all this will be a thing of the past as on new builds the nte is now being installed o/s.If your dropwire is going through trees on your property then it is the eu responsbility to keep it cut back away from the dropwire.

What about if the drop wire goes through your neighbours trees, can the neighbour be charged?

we were charged when the line went wrong that supplys other houses, they said my trees caused a fault on the line. my insurance paid for the repair.
its down to the openreach engineer who pays for it :evil:

when my internal wiring went faulty coffee bikies and a £10 beer voucher where a good sweetner
a new drop wire directly to a new master socket saved the engineer crawling through the loft and wasting ages
he just put it down to a bad connection on the pole
everyone happy :D :D ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back