BT Master Socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I plan to disconnect my BT Master socket so that I can pu the cable under the floor and then reconnect it. Does any one know of anything I should be aware of. I have a crone tool to reconnect the bell ringer cable, the A & B pairs are on screw terminals. Have I missed anything apart from the fact it's illegal ?

Sponsored Links
seems a bit odd that one terminal is scew the other cronin.

if you are moving your outgoing cable then it should be connected to the removable side of the master socket.

which ever you do make a note of which colour goes to which terminal first, double check it then move it

Thanks for the advice folks. After digging around on the net a bit further I discovered that I only needed to reconnect the pair (blue/white & white/blue) wires. The 3rd (orange/white) wire that was croned in is there to ring the phone if it is an old style phone that has an actual bell !. Modern phones know when an incomming call is being recieved and it rings the phone itself (well plays a ringing sound). However if I change the phone back to and old style I will need to reconnect the other wire. I don't see that happening.

Sponsored Links
the bell wire you're on about still needs to be connected to make most modern phones work as well.I'm an ex BT engineer and got caught out by this when I recently moved house.The previous owner hadn't connected the bell wire(or the earths in some of the mains sokets but that's another sotry!) either for some reason and my phones didn't ring;that was a DECT system as well.You shouldn't get any problems with shorting the wires out either,lots of sockets and phones failed by effectively shorting out but once they were changed everything was tickety-boo again.If you've only got 2 wires for the rest of the house though then you can fit master sockets as extensions which will make your phones ring,up to a maximum of four.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back