bt nte5 wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
someone pulled my external telephone line from my outside wall and my phones not working. my house phones display a message says no line. I opened the master socket and found a green and black wire loose. any suggestions where these 2 wires are suppose to be wired into.

Sponsored Links
If the green and black are the wires from outside, then, on an NTE5 there are two screw connections marked A and B. The wires go on there.

If it got pulled from the outside wall, there's a good chance its damaged. Old cable can crack when its flexed.

Where abouts outside was the cable pulled?

Just the other side of where the master socket is I would ASSUME.

I would expect to see two wires of the cable actually used, going to terminals A and B depending on what set up you have.

I would also expect to see another two wires from the same cable NOT used, just coiled up in the box.

Sponsored Links
Are the Orange and White ones still connected? I suggest the Black and Green ones are the unused spare pair. You prob just have an external line fault.

You might get this repaired free of charge by OpenReach as technically it is a "fault" on the cable they own and installed. If they quibble about it being intentionally damage you could say it was installed in a way that allowed for it to become damaged by person or persons outside of your control. If your children pulled to cable out then it is down to you to pay for the repair call out.

Most OpenReach engineers like tea and choccy biscuits and some, affected by the choccy forget to tick the "customer liable" box.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back