BT Wiring Question

Answer here

OPENREACH will never remove a dacs for adsl

OPENREACH will remove a dacs if possible and with in reason.

please tick

P.S SHOW WHERE ANYONE EVER SAID ON DEMAND

P.P.S I`LL SHOW YOU WHERE ATILLA SAID B.T WILL NOT REMOVE A DACS FOR ADSL WHICH IS WRONG,BUT LIKE I`VE SAID BEING AS I HAVE AND DO REMOVE THEM FOR ADSL WE CAN SAFELY SAY "OPENREACH WILL REMOVE A DACS FOR ADSL" notice no where does it say on demand

Sponsored Links
Answer here

OPENREACH will never remove a dacs for adsl

OPENREACH will remove a dacs if possible and with in reason.

please tick

P.S SHOW WHERE ANYONE EVER SAID ON DEMAND

P.P.S I`LL SHOW YOU WHERE ATILLA SAID B.T WILL NOT REMOVE A DACS FOR ADSL WHICH IS WRONG,BUT LIKE I`VE SAID BEING AS I HAVE AND DO REMOVE THEM FOR ADSL WE CAN SAFELY SAY "OPENREACH WILL REMOVE A DACS FOR ADSL" notice no where does it say on demand

just another typically misleading post from you.

BT used to drag their heels with broadband provision on DACS lines, but these days they have a duty to the providers to sort it, in some cases requiring extra line plant.

no they dont

Some ISP's do not want the hastle or cost of getting Openreach to de-DACS a line, and so refuse the order, but going to a different ISP usually sorts the issue.

no it doesnt.

Either you or your mate at Openreach is seriously out of touch. I suggest you keep to alarms, comms aint your strong point.

I have had several ADSL requests delayed while Openreach organise the de-dacs'ing, it is always done where it does not involve a huge amount of additional line plant to be installed.

If you sign up with a cheapo ISP, they often do not wish to pay Openreach for the additional time to provide a new pair. I believe all ISP's have to pay for a connection to ADSL, and pay more if de-dacs'ing is required.

I have only ever had the one time when ADSL could not be provided without additional costs to the customer.

Simon, re your two little questions earlier - I would be interested in the answers :)

Sponsored Links
To get back to CEC's original problem.....

It would interesting to know the results of double-checking this:

CEC said:
I've also tested voltage across the orange and white when the incoming cottage number is called, it remains at 49vdc and the telephone rings normally. When the second cottage number is dialled the orange and white start fluctuating from 49vdc to a whole range of voltages, both DC and AC.

Paul_C said:
But you say you just read steady battery on the line when calling cottage #1's number and (presumably) ringing voltage when dialing cottage #2's number, which is puzzling. Is there a possibility that you accidentally had the two numbers mixed up when you did that test?

If that's really what's happening then there's something strange going on (don't know about you Simon, but my first thought on analyzing that was "WB900" - not that it could be possible with DSL of course, even if any are still in use).

If it turns out that you had the two numbers mixed up, then it's a simple case of the line to the second cottage being disconnected in error. If you check the remaining three pairs of the incoming cable and they are all dead, then it's BT's problem (or whoever provides phone service via OpenReach lines) to sort out.

If you do find the second line on one of the spare incoming pairs (use 17070 and/or call it to check the number), then just connect that pair to the cable which runs to the second cottage's NTE in the back of the box (most likely the Blue/White pair on that cable, but open the NTE in the second cottage and check which pair is on the A & B terminals).

Thanks everyone, there's some very helpful information on this thread. I can't get back to the customer site until Wednesday but I'll update back here with what I find.

Once again, thanks for all your help so far.

While the cables are installed by BT ( as OpenReach) it is not certain whether BT are the service provider. The service may have been terminated by the service provider.

If these cottages are rented out for holidays how does the owner re-coup the cost of phone calls ? Are there any provisions in the service agreement for short term billing periods that, due to a breach of conditions, may have given rise to the service provider requesting OpenReach to disconnect the second cottage.

I also recall from somewhere reluctance by BT to have circuits to subscriber A easily accessible to subscriber B inside subscriber B's premises. A junction box of any sort being easily accessible for evesdropping.

Simon, re your two little questions earlier - I would be interested in the answers :)[/quote]

:LOL: You will have to remind me of the questions i kind of lost the will to live after arguing with atilla,at least it was plain to see he has no idea what he is talking about

WB900 thats the line conc yes ?,well i work in some very rural areas and i think the last one was removed from my patch in early 2008,like you say adsl would not work over a conc.
Getting back to the original problem if the eu knows both numbers and he does a 17070 on the working line,then there must be a dis fault on the other line because its not connected to anything,if it was on a dacs it will throw up a strange test result probably battery contact but even so it will test faulty.Openreach are responsible upto the nte so can`t see a problem.

Question to Simon

Do so called "farmer's lines" still exist where the demarcation NTE is on a pole on or close to the highway and the cable from there to the sub's premises is owned, installed and maintained by the sub. Haven't seen or heard of one for many years. But wondered if this might be one

If these cottages are rented out for holidays how does the owner re-coup the cost of phone calls ?

Maybe inclusive calls (01/02) with others barred? Or maybe it's for incoming calls only?

I also recall from somewhere reluctance by BT to have circuits to subscriber A easily accessible to subscriber B inside subscriber B's premises. A junction box of any sort being easily accessible for evesdropping.

There's quite a bit of that goes on though. In a small shopping arcade in which I have a couple of regular clients lines run all sorts of contorted ways through adjacent units where stores have taken over a unit, knocked two through into one, then partitioned them off differently again, etc.

There's one small DP (20 pairs) which is now completely inside one of the units (used to be in a covered walkway behind the precinct, but that walkway was bricked off at both ends and a doorway knocked through to incorporate into one of the existing units.

unfortunately no,its not something i have come across but i don`t doubt in some areas in the past it may have happened,openreach maintain upto the master nte which is being fitted now to a external wall no new builds, this will be the demarcation point in the future.I get a lot of nsy line faults on farms mostly due to the location and the twenty spans of dropwire from the d.p to the farm :LOL:

Or maybe it's for incoming calls only?

In which case the pair may show dis until there is an incoming call.

That is normally called ocb out going calls barred,sometimes you won`t even have a dial tone but they won`t test dis unless there is nothing on the end.I normally fit these lines for broadband use only in large shops

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back