Bubbling toilet and sink drainage problem.

Now I'm certain the soil pipe wasn't visible. There was a big thick pipe going into the floor because I remeber a bit of a gap around it when the carpet was in there years ago ( yes hideous carpet in bathroom I know). There was definitely no pipe going from the toilet horizontally to the sink/ bath .

I suppose the soil pipe must be below floor level otherwise I would see it at the back in the gap between the bath and the vanity unit wouldn't i ?

Sponsored Links
Yes you would. Now we know the fitters have only connected your new WC to the existing above floor pipe there is not much that they could have done wrong ......
1. Dropped a physical obstruction Into the pipe .
2. Connected the basin waste into the soil pipe in such a manner that it is obstructive.
That's it ,in a nutshell .

Sponsored Links
Photographs of before and during .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 180
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 109
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 105
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 120
Well a pictures better than a thousand words !! I thought bath was lengthwise left to right !! Any way the basin waste looks as though it goes straight thru floor as well. All looks good from plumbing perspective there. Can't see how the fitters could go wrong its dead straightforward .only question really is what's blocked it up below floor again. Only real plumbing difference is new WC cisterns are limited to 6 ltr flush maximum and half flush even less. If your old WC was original 20 years old it would probably flush 9 litres or more. Maybe that's the difference ,especially if underfloor pipe run is not in tip top condition and someone if flushing kitchen towel. It will not breakdown like toilet roll. I think your fitters are pretty blameless. Goodnight for now.

The only thing I haven't mentioned is that the bath had to be raised - not quite sure why. The taps also previously used to be on the end ( so the same wall as sink and toilet) but now they are on the long side of the bath. Presumably none of this would have caused an issue?

Hmmmm.........

Not related at all. More likely to gain the height for correct fall / clearance for waste pipework.

taps are usually fitted on the long side of the bath if the plumber doesn't like the homeowner, because it means the entire bath has to come out if you ever need to replace a tap.

Well we've managed to clear things .....for now at least.

Used a toilet unblocking tool on the toilet simultaneously whilst a sink plunger was on the sink.

After lots of elbow grease all is now clear and the sink is making a wonderful gurgling sound rather than the dreaded bubble.

Only annoying thing is that we don't know what the cause actually was though as nothing actually came up so Im presuming it has just been dislodged?

Will keep an eye on things.

See how it goes, my theory regarding the WC was wrong so at least that wont be an issue. Terry has summed it up, has to be a physical obstruction of some kind.

You should of had someone looking in the manhole while you were doing it.

Andy
Grrrr........ I know.

Thing is, we were really at the last chance saloon and were not expecting it to work at all. This was about the zillionth effort. The previous times we had tried , nothing shifted and we were looking at the manhole then

Will know for next time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back