Budding 'Jamie Olivers'

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure anyone can help me with this query thats been puzzling me for an age. Why is it on fresh beans sprouts there is a 'use by date', not a 'best before date' like other fresh fruit and veg?
You are such a multi talented bunch I was sure someone would know the answer and put me out my insane misery!!! :eek:

Sponsored Links
Its because there is a nasty chemical called diamorphosate that becomes toxic when they arent used within this date that will make you ill. :rolleyes:

Most (wrapped) fruit and veg comes with a "display until" date when we consider it to become "not fresh" on that date, so we reduce its price on that date but still display it. Often we oblitterate the date or tear off the label and display it anyway, things like swedes last so long yet have a supposed shelf life of 3 days or something daft. With fruit and veg it is often a case of using your own judgement to determine what to reduce.

with ambient "best before" items (tins, jars, crisps etc) you can sell after the date at a vastly reduced price, but we usually reduce them a month in advance of the date. Selling things after the date isn't very professional, makes us look like a jumble sale or one of these ameteurish efforts of corner shops (or a Spar ;) )

with chilled and bread "best before" and "use by" we reduce it 2 days before the date and reduce it again on the date to quarter price or ridiculous things like 5p :!: We cannot sell these things after their date, as they are considered "no longer edible!!!"

But diferent shops interpret the dates in different ways. Just thought i'd amaze you with insider knowledge ;) :LOL:

countygardens said:
Its because there is a nasty chemical called diamorphosate that becomes toxic when they arent used within this date that will make you ill. :rolleyes:

How sick and ..... is that put in to preserve them or is it there naturally

Sponsored Links
pickles said:
countygardens said:

LOL only joking, I made diamorphosate up. ;)

Sounded real tho' didnt it?

countygardens said:
pickles said:
countygardens said:

No!

countygardens said:
LOL only joking, I made diamorphosate up. ;) Sounded real tho' didnt it?

Hey! You could be a tabloid journalist: "Let's scare people with evil science and a few big words".

Mind you most of the stuff should be labelled in proper SI (or whatever the modern equivalent is) terms. Ingredients such as aqua incense me, why not just hold up your hand up and either call it water or di-hydrogen oxide.

countygardens said:
pickles said:
countygardens said:

good wind up. Fell for it hook line and sinker

pickles said:
countygardens said:
pickles said:
countygardens said:

Eddie M didnt seem to think so :rolleyes: ;)

countygardens said:
pickles said:
countygardens said:
pickles said:
countygardens said:

He's obviously cleverer than me

pickles said:
countygardens said:
pickles said:
countygardens said:
pickles said:
countygardens said:

He's obviously cleverer than me
you know if we keep quoting quotes like this, what happens to the original quote? it cant just keep getting smaller (in width) surely? By the way, i didnt fall for the original joke. ;) :LOL:

It's a throwback to a case in the 70's where someone became ill from eating Kidney beans that hadn't been cooked for long enough, all sorts of guidelines came out,if i remember correctly for a time you couldn't buy them raw they had to be boiled for something like 20-30mins?

I think it's 10 minutes.

That's how long I always boil beans and pulses for before reducing the heat, and I'm still here.

BTW - you can reduce the unfortunate gastric side effects from eating beans if at the 10 minute stage you drain them and carry on cooking with fresh water.

Sponsored Links
Back