Buidling Entertainment Unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey everyone, I am in the middle of building an entertainment unit for my living room using some 12mm MDF, I have got all the wood cut but have a few problems.

Some of the bits of mdf are warped slightly, should I just screw it altogether and it will eventually straighten up or will I need to fix this before fixing it all together.

Also I am not sure on the best way to screw it all together, I was going to use those small plastic square connectos to screw it all together and not sure this is the best to use? There wont be much weight on the unit as the TV will be wall mounted so will just be amps, ps3, sky etc.

What is the best way to make sure that I screw it all together flush, would it be easier to assemble with a friend?

Some bits I got cut a bit too big so will need to plain these back, I am assuming this should be a problem, it will only be a milimeter or two along the front face of the wood.

What is the best way to finish the wood after, is it possible to hide any of the joining lines so it all looks like one piece? I have been told just to seal with pva glue then paint with water based paint.

Thanks for any help, I have done much with wood before so any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
draw lines 12mm apart where any intermediate panels/shelves go
mark up all the components at the same time as groups off vertical or horizontal componants so the lines will match exactly

if the join is at a corner draw a line 12mm in
the lines are on the side where the componants will sit and give you lines to work to with the edges inbetween

use a 3mm drill bit drill holes 1"in from each end and every 2 to 3" along the lines
drill in the centre between the lines and or edge
use no6 x2" screws into full depth pilot holes screw and glue use the pz2 driver bit to countersink 3 or4mm into the mdf before inserting the screw
screw in gently and slowly [20 to 50 rpm]untill you can judge the speed and realease the trigger in time DO NOT over tighten

if you have componants both sides off a panel you cannot screw them both into position unless you stagger them ask for other solutions if required

you will need at least 30% off the back coverd in for stability

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back