Build costs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All
Just after some general advice, please. I'm looking at buying a house which has potential to extend on the side. AS house prices have gone crazy and I haven't won the lottery (yet), I have a max of £50k to spend. I'd like to build a 28 sq m, 2 storey side extension and a single story 15 sq m rear extension. Can be built to first fix and can DIY the finish. But would ideally like some left to re-plaster existing property. The extension would need to be built up to meet existing property ground levels. Does this sound any way near do-able?

I am in the process of trying to get actual builder quotes, but appreciate people are very busy and I know many don't have time to give speculative quotes...

All sensible advice greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
If you're saying the 28m2 includes both floors then maybe. If the 28m2 is the area of just one floor (so total 54m2) then no.

Thats roughly £42k+vat.

Is the 2 storey 28 sq metres per floor? Or 14 sq metre footprint?

Unfortunately your budget wont be enough either way.

The reality is you would probably get a basic single storey extension of say 7m x 4m for the budget, all finished and incl admins.

You might get a shell for that money, ie founds, walls, roof

Hello everyone, are you referring to central London or a side street in Rocdale with these m2 rates?

If it's the posh end of Rochdale then double to London price.

You might be better asking a local architect, yours is absolutely the last question I would ask a builder.

Are you looking to 'develop' the property for resale or are you looking for the house you need at the price you can afford?

You might be better asking a local architect, yours is absolutely the last question I would ask a builder.
Great idea. You will not only get the cost of what it will take to build it, but an additional 15% will be added for the architect to 'project manage' the build.
Any more priceless nuggets Dork?

Great idea. You will not only get the cost of what it will take to build it, but an additional 15% will be added for the architect to 'project manage' the build.
Any more priceless nuggets Dork?

I don't for one minute think you have much knowledge of how architects price their work or the full extent of the service they provide.

Perhaps you are you one of those builders we see on Watchdog who sketches it out on a fag packet & does the runner once 3/4's of the project cash has been sucked from the clients wallet ?

Thanks to everyone who replied with actual information ;)

To answer some of the questions asked... If I was to go ahead with this project, I would get architects; drawings and draw up a proper brief for builders to quote on. I was looking at buying a house (in Leicestershire), not as an investment, but as a home for my family that would be big enough IF we could extend. I was looking for just the shell to be built; we are able to DIY most of the interior and would be prepared to wait and finish off at a later date. I was looking for ball park figures as I suspected the budget would unlikely cover it and I didn;t want to buy the house and then realise this. I think following comments here and other research, it's probably a no-go. Going to stay and improve the house we're in instead, I think :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back