Build over application - not sure where to relocate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

We are in the middle of some building work and found out we need a build-over agreement from Wessex Water as my extension includes an inspection chamber inside, but I am not quite sure where to relocate it. The builder initially thought it was ok to raise it and suggested leaving it accessible inside, but now we have been told it was not allowed.

It is foul drainage, and it looks very deep inside. I assume it goes down to the one on the street (outside our driveway; to the side is our driveway, to the back is our garden). The map does not show a red-line connection. Apologise in advance if my question is too basic but my builder does not seem to have a clue...so how to decide where to relocate it? Can I ask the water company to suggest what they want me to do?

E0492018-6E7D-4390-A22E-02CCA29BF923_1_201_a.jpeg
6EFE7E91-1A71-4086-9AD3-330D481B99BE_1_105_c.jpeg
a77b17e7-d7ec-42fc-b789-7cfbc8a54538.JPG

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Can you post an existing plan and a proposed plan each showing the drainage including the inverts?
Thank you very much for your reply! I have added two more pictures and hope that makes better sense. We cannot see anything below as it is very deep, the builder said at least 15 feet down).

Prepare yourself for big additional bills. You will need to get Wessex Water involved directly and they will have a department dedicated to this.

Don’t trust your builder and make sure the BCO is kept informed too as they will need the info on what is agreed too

Been through this with Thames Water

Sponsored Links
Prepare yourself for big additional bills. You will need to get Wessex Water involved directly and they will have a department dedicated to this.

Don’t trust your builder and make sure the BCO is kept informed too as they will need the info on what is agreed too

Been through this with Thames Water
So I can directly ask Wessex Water for advice before applying?

Where/how big/shape is the extension? Where is the pipe run showing where the existing run meets the street sewer? Where is the proposed drainage running? There are no additional pics showing. Is this one of those jobs with no drawings?

no, it is 43, the end one
I meant is there a nr 44 between the two. It's unusual to have sequential house numbers.

Any way, if you are the end house, then surely you can just move that chamber.

But your plan does not show the complete drain ruin or direction. You just have a random red line that does not go anywhere.

I meant is there a nr 44 between the two. It's unusual to have sequential house numbers.

Any way, if you are the end house, then surely you can just move that chamber.

But your plan does not show the complete drain ruin or direction. You just have a random red line that does not go anywhere.
I do not have a plan yet as I have no idea about where the pipes go. The picture was directly obtained from the water company and did not show direction clearly. My builder first said he was not sure but he agreed to have a closer look and tried to figure it out. Or I may contact the water company to ask their suggestion about where to go?

You need a drain survey to find out the layout, depth and position of any manholes if neither you or (what sounds like) your incompetent builder can't work it out, this should have all been addressed before the builder was ever engaged. The water company won't know anymore than is on their ancient likely to be quite inaccurate map of which you already have, in reality it's up to the homeowner or applicant to determine the drains accurately.

Where/how big/shape is the extension? Where is the pipe run showing where the existing run meets the street sewer? Where is the proposed drainage running? There are no additional pics showing. Is this one of those jobs with no drawings?
Sorry, I just realised the additional pics were not shown. I have added them again. The builder said he would have a closer look today and try to figure out where the pipe run.

Last edited:
Are Building Control involved on this? It looks like there are two manholes? You won't be able to have a manhole inside the building.

Are Building Control involved on this? It looks like there are two manholes? You won't be able to have a manhole inside the building.
Yes BC asked us to get the build-over agreement for that. I was not familiar with the rules and the builder was so confident to suggest we raised it to the floor level and left it accessible. Now I know we are not allowed...I should have spent more time to check. Does the one outside need to be removed as well? :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back