Build over...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys

I recently just did a 3m extension via building regs. All went ok. but my builder said he has done the planning and sent forms for the thames water build over...

After constant nagging he now said he hasnt and now wouldnt take my calls or anything... (typical!) lol

I am now thinking to do this myself... wondered if the drawings needs to be in detail or can i sketch up myself? i know where the man hole is and how pipes are running etc

or do i need architect to do the drawing properly?

thanks in advance

p.s. as the extension is done, would i be in trouble of it not being submitted on time?

Sponsored Links
How is this new building affecting the sewer?

Is any part of the building actually over the pipe?

Have you taken any photos?

I'm guessing the existing foul pipe now sits either under / over or through the new foundations? Thames water will only be concerned at this junction and will need the cross section detail including dimensions to make their comments. If for example the existing foul is clay and sits directly under the new foundation there would be a risk of fracture (if no measures have been taken), if its through the foundation (and again a clay pipe) it should be sleeved and a rocker installed. As noseall above say's if you could provide more details more advise could be given.

You are supposed to apply before starting work. They will then decide if they want to survey the sewer to see if it needs remedial work (which they will pay for) and if they are happy with your plans. Once you start you can't prove any damage was already there so it could get complicated.

Two options now. If building regs have been signed off then you could forget about it. Might become an issue if you sell or if there is a problem with the sewer but it will save you hassle now and a few hundred quid. Or apply for the build over agreement. You can do your own sketches. Just show the section through the footings, a plan view and list any special considerations. Hopefully they will just send you a letter saying they are happy for you to proceed. If they want to survey then it's time to get a bit nervous :)

Sponsored Links
Hi

its within 3m the pipe.

I am afraid i didnt take any pictures. just mentally as i was watching over them do the foundations.

With regards to selling would it right off after 5 years or would it haunt me even after 10-15 years lol?

Last thing i want is them to come dig everything up ! but also dont want to do anything wrong too! Want to stay within books lol!

The builders already messed me over so dont want to take any risks... but also if i can say sell the house in 10 years without this being issue then im happy to forget about it as the builders regs has been cleared

thanks

Is the sewer serving only your house or does it also serve other houses or properties that you do not own ?

If it serves other properties then it "belongs" to the Water Company as far as maintenance is concerned. In which case they need to be told.

How did buildings regs sign off on this anyway? My private building regs inspector automatically informs Thames Water and this forms part of the approval as he wants it before giving any final certificate is given or indeed before works starts.

Last edited:
As noseall says - The distance & depth relative to your foundations is key here - General rule of thumb for public sewer.

Screen Shot 2015-11-11 at 19.26.00.png

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back