Builder Daily Rates

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, sorry if this has been covered elsewhere but I'm new to the forum. Can anyone give me an idea of what builder daily rates should be in the south midlands/Cotswold area.
Cheers
dttp

Sponsored Links
Supposedly pretty good, accurate brickwork etc

Why are you thinking about day rates - unless it's a very small job (in which case a decent builder won't be interested) you'd be better getting a price for the full job and comparing quotes.

Sponsored Links
Thank you.
Newboy - why wouldn't a decent builder be interested in a relatively small job. Surely work is work?

So you are saying that every single small job is done by a crap builder.

Apologies - no that isn't what I meant. Badly expressed, what I meant was scale not quality. If it's a small job then it's difficult to get a builder interested. If it's a brickwork job then a good brickie may well be interested and be prepared (and indeed happy) to work on a day rate.

Surely work is work?

Nope - there are good jobs and bad jobs

There's no such thing as THE rate for a builder...its what the builder you choose wishes to charge. If three quotes come in at the same price then that's the "going rate". If one is high then its up to you to decide if they're worth it.

Don't forget, you don't pick the builder. the builder picks you.

Why do you think some quotes are so high, the builder doesn't want the job.

Andy

Cheers. Perhaps I'm a bit out of touch but I needed a price for a 6m garden wall, approximately 1m high. Concrete footings already poured by the concrete guy, new bricks, sand and cement already on site. One local guy, known to be a decent bricky wanted £200 a day. I just thought that was a bit steep for turning up with a plastic bucket, a couple of trowels and a spirit level.

I just thought that was a bit steep for turning up with a plastic bucket, a couple of trowels and a spirit level.

If that's your attitude then, I'd be surprised if anyone wanted to work for you. And charge you top whack if they did.

. I just thought that was a bit steep for turning up with a plastic bucket, a couple of trowels and a spirit level.
And probably three years of having to starve and grovel for work on £50 per day after the 2008 crash. We have long memories.:sneaky:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back