Builder Daily Rates

Oh, like you were only ones that suffered after the crash. I think not. Certainly making up for it now!

Sponsored Links
I've just put the builder's daywork rate to £250-£350 in the Cotswolds (y)

Sponsored Links
Yeah, good luck with that. I've just put my rates up to the same amount for fixing your beaten up old transit vans.

Well my bricky was going to charge me £1 per brick laid and he turned up WITHOUT a spirt level, tape measure or a spade to lay the footings! (I wish I was joking) £200 per day for a GOOD bricky sounds good to me.

Depends on the area, but if a trowel can earn £150 or more on site, someone working in the private sector would normally be charging £200 or more to make the business workable.

I pay my brickie £320 a day for him and his labourer - he is a bloody good brickie and is worth every penny. I know what he can do in a day. To be fair most jobs he does for me he prices - but I can generally guess what the quotes will be based on the amount of time he says it will take.

For example - I need a new garden wall building - he has said its two weeks work but will send me a quote I know thats roughly £3k in labour plus materials.

Cheers. Perhaps I'm a bit out of touch but I needed a price for a 6m garden wall, approximately 1m high. Concrete footings already poured by the concrete guy, new bricks, sand and cement already on site. One local guy, known to be a decent bricky wanted £200 a day. I just thought that was a bit steep for turning up with a plastic bucket, a couple of trowels and a spirit level.
Well, you could turn up in someone else's garden with those tools and yet you couldn't charge even £50......its not the turning up that costs - its the experience. Why do you think a garage mechanic charges what they do? Its because most of us DON'T know how to fix the car. Why do you think a GP earns £100K+? Its because they have been trained for 10 years and hold people's lives in their hands. Are you starting to understand now? In a free-market economy, the cost of anything eventually settles down to the figure most people are prepared to pay. If all the plumbers in the UK suddenly say "we're all going to charge £500 a day" then guess what? That's what you'll have to pay (but of course, there are some who would try to under-cut the £500, so the rest might have to drop their prices too, etc etc).

I would IMAGINE that what you meant to ask was, "What should I expect to have to have to pay per day?" That is a more reasonable question and one which only the locals would know. Do let us know what you find out.

Cheers guys, that's given me more of an idea

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back