builder sending rainwater into a gully with foul water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I posted a job on myBuilder for an export to sort the drainage out for a new patio because I didn't know what I was doing with the drainage, but this builder has sent rainwater from the drainage channels along the side of the house into the side inlets of the existing gully which also takes sink water, so I guess that is classed as foul water.
I agreed for him to do this because I didn't know any better at the time.

The problem I have now is that the drainage channels are on a bed of cement and the inlet pipes from the gully have been opened up to take rainwater from the drainage channels. So I'm not sure what to do...leave it as it is or call the expert back to sort out.

I paid the expert (he has a smsts waste carriers licence) £200, it took about him 5 hours.
It's not even my house, I'm doing this for a friend.

Sponsored Links
If he has connected the new drainage up correctly it should run forever more and not give you any issues.

wouldn’t get too worried

yeah that's incorrect in most cases, as it should have gone to the rainwater drainage, however it's ultimately the homeowners responsibility to comply with building and drainage regulations. I'm not quite sure what your question is but it sounds like if you get it sorted properly you would probably end up paying again.

Sponsored Links
Yeah I'm probably going to have to leave it as is now. I was mostly concerned that if there was a blockage and it started raining that foul water might spread on to the patio. Although there are 2 gullies so if one does get blocked the water should move along to the other one .

Yeah I'm probably going to have to leave it as is now. I was mostly concerned that if there was a blockage and it started raining that foul water might spread on to the patio. Although there are 2 gullies so if one does get blocked the water should move along to the other one .

If you have separate drainage for foul and fresh water, you may find you soon have the water authority on your back, making threats of court action and fines for none compliance.

Must admit, I wonder how the L/A can tell if rain water is being fed into a foul sewer [in small volumes]

Very obvious when foul discharge into rain water.

In our old house (built 1899), the water from the sink and bath went into the same open drain as the rainwater. Sometimes the drain got blocked by leaves causing rainwater and sink water to overflow onto the patio. All the houses round there did that. In our present house (built 1960), sink/bath water goes into the soil stack. Rainwater goes directly into a rainwater drain (I assume) as I have no open drains whatsoever.

My property was built in 1842 [as I remember??]

There are numerous U/G redundant lines, but what is left [combined] is still [almost] OK Open gullies all over the place

most people round here have rainwater going into the foul sewer, which means during exceptional rainfall it comes out of any connected gullies, we actually sealed our manhole and downpipe from the roof after our garden was flooded by foul water. Sounds like the OP has done the opposite, which could be risky depending how many other neighbours have done the same. We are one of the lowest drains on the run, I think the third from bottom.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back