Builder tendering for work has paid for estimate himself

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're in the final stages of planning permission for a large extension (two storey side, single storey rear).

We've had 9 builders round to quote. In general, their quotes are ranging in price from £88k to £125k. They have all worked to the same plans/building regs/specifications, which are quite detailed. They have all called at the house, looked at the project and taken our plans away and the quotes have taken 4-5 weeks to come back.

This evening we had a builder round with his quote. We really like this chap (one of two that comes on recommendation) and he has taken particular care to look at the finer details. He is the only builder who has returned with a plumber and electrician to take a closer look - this evening was his third visit to the house.

Unfortunately, his quote has come in close to £150k, which is way out of our budget. He told us he's been trying to contact brickies and roofers for detailed quotes but been 'getting nowhere' and eventually paid £150 to have a professional estimate service look aat the plans. The estimate seems incorrect to us anyway (£20k for windows - we've had an extension before and we know this is over and above what it needs to be - it also includes some electrics and heating and then this is estimated again as a separate amount later).

We are a bit confused on several levels - we don't understand why he has needed so many other people to contribute to the estimate (fair enough a sparkie and a plumber). Most of all we are confused why he's spent £150 of his own money getting this estimate. Should we now pay him the £150 to make sure he's not left out of pocket? We feel terrible he's paid this - we never once said he was the only builder quoting for the work.

Sponsored Links
so what work will he be doing himself apart from counting the money

well that's one of the reasons we're confused. The estimate he's paid for includes everything you can ever imagine (quantities and price for labour). He didn't seem to be pricing anything himself.

On the other hand, we really like him on a personal level (important). He asked where the quote came in relation to others and seemed disappointed it was high - really deflated.

Our architect bloke thought the project should cost about £90k.

In general, their quotes are ranging in price from £88k to £125k. They have all worked to the same plans/building regs/specifications, which are quite detailed.

Unfortunately, his quote has come in close to £150k, £20k for windows

150k seems way ott. I wouldn't pay him £150 for the estimate - it's not the norm and did he ever mention having to pay for one?

Are the windows gold plated :eek:

Sponsored Links
No, he didn't mention paying for a quote. From what he said, he was exasperated at waiting for brickies and roofers to get back to him with a price, so he turned to this professional quoting service. If the brickies etc had got back to him, he wouldn't have paid the £150k.

His price was £111k plus VAT based on the estimate he'd paid for. However, this didn't include plumbing or electrics (sep quote), burglar alarm, steel (£4k) or rendering to the front of the house. By the time we'd totted it all up, it was £150k.

He's an older guy (50+) and did an extension for a friend about 15 years ago so he's not inexperienced by any means. I'm really flummoxed he couldn't price it himself and didn't see that £20k for windows was massive.

20k will buy you about six or seven bespoke timber sash windows with weights, fitted and finished, or it will buy you thirtyeight regular upvc fellas fitted.

What are you having built that will cost £150,000 in any case - a new house!?

Well you'd think so for that price!

It's a 1961 house that hasn't been touched. It's on a good plot but needs bringing up to date with absolutely everything. We have a budget of about £150k but thats got to include everything, right down to a new kitchen and appliances, 129m squared of driveway and a patio measuring 8 metres by 4 metres. His £150k (actually £155k looking at it again) is such a shock and impossible.

I wouldn't feel so bad about the £150 he paid for his estimate if we were able to give him the work.

You're mad if you feel bad about him paying out for a quote.

He might be a good bloke, and brilliant at running your job, but since it'll cost at least 25K more than no. 2, can you really justify it?

The cheaper builders might well give you the run around, and you'll need your wits about you to not get less than you expect, but unfortunately mr nice guy could be just the same.

Take your responsibilities seriously, and keep an eye on the job. Try to be in control from day 1 (but don't expect miracles).

To be honest, it's one very good reason why so many of us d-i-y.

Good luck.

The bottom line is this ....

The builder was not able/experienced to formulate his own quote based on his own costs, knowledge and experience.

So he has got all these other trades involved, each with their own point of view and personal cost estimates (and added profit).

Even then he has failed to add everything up and so he has gone out to a quantity surveying service which has then produced an itemised quote but based on generic rates and costs which do not reflect this builders actual costs.

That is why you have his artificially high quote

The costs associated in preparing a quote, whether done personally or paid for professionally are always borne by the builder and they accept this, and you should not feel bad.

You should consider that all the other builders have spent time doing their quotes at home or work and this will easily equate to the money that this guy has said he has paid out. So if you want, you can feel bad for everyone who quoted

Thanks for all your replies.

I haven't seen his work for myself but my friend was pleased. I have the impression that her job was a small extension whereas mine is a massive renovation project and perhaps he's not used to such big jobs. Two of the builders we invited round took the plans but never got back with a quote so we assumed it was too big for them, too.

The other recommended builder actually happens to be the cheapest quote (£88k). Our next step is to go and look at his work.

Just remember it's probably his subbies work you'll see, not his. And you might not be told who he'll use.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back