Builder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We recently commissioned a builder on a labour only basis to build a substaintial extension on our home, to build the shell. Part of the work involves knocking through a chimney breast on a gable wall, and opening up another wall and inserting RSJ's. As I didn't specifically have this mentioned on the quote, he is after extra cash for this, which I'm obviously not happy with, but I can accept this to a point. The part I'm struggling to accept is that he is now telling me his quote didn't include installing the floor joists as he went up, and is requiring money to install these as well. Coming to me as he's already built the walls to the first lift, and had the scaffold in place, then mentioning these omissions from his quote are part of what gives the industry such a bad name I feel. Is this builder taking the mick?

Sponsored Links
Hi Deluks,

Yes I have a written quote, however it breaks the stages down into things like, slab prep, build to damp, but to first scaff lift, build to second lift, build to wall plate etc. Asking for extra money to put the joists in (and we're talking well into four figures, labour only) seems sharp practice to say the least.

Sounds a bit wierd.
Play dumb and call his bluff (Hope you've got a good poker face) Tell him if he hasn't quoted for it then he should carry on to the second lift without putting the floor in. See what he says.

If he's reply is along the lines of "it can't be done" or "the floor joists need to be in place before we can continue" then ask how he presumed they would magically appear if he hadn't quoted for them, and hadn't asked you to get it sorted out seperately after he'd finished first lift.

Joists only, 4 figures? Sure he hasn't missed out a decimal point?

Sponsored Links
Thanks deluks,

The builder when confronted has thrown his teddy out of the pram and walked off the job. Time for another brickie! Well looks like it's time to see what this small claims court procedure is all about.

Labour only? Why?
Were you trying to save money by sourcing materials and managing it yourself?
Maybe you should have paid him on a day rate .
I don't know many good builders who would accept your terms, it all seems a bit vague.

When employing a builder on a day rate, or labour only, at what point does the householder become responsible for health and safety etc and need to think about insurance policies?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back