Builders Adding To Lighting Circuit - Doesn't look right

Next to it looks like a downlighter cover, quite possible the transformer or downlight is gonna be wired into the ceiling rose.

Sponsored Links
I'm glad you find it funny.

I don't suppose you'd be able to scrape together enough brain cells to put forward a rational explanation of why those 4 characters were foul and abusive, would you?

If it wasn't foul or abusive or meant to read as though it was, then why did you replace the middle two letters with asterisks?

Which none abusive word were you really writing?

If it wasn't foul or abusive or meant to read as though it was, then why did you replace the middle two letters with asterisks?
He didn't need to think about that. If he simply typed the foul or abusive word in full, the forum software would have kindly put in the asterisks for him!

Kind Regards, John

Just to clarify it was not intended as a temporary fix, when I quizzed them about it they said it was fine, that was until I mention getting the building inspector in to check, then they offered to come & rectify. They were told under no circumstances was the original electrician to come in the house & they should send somebody else to complete.

Sponsored Links
If it wasn't foul or abusive or meant to read as though it was,
You're the only one who can decide to see something other than what I wrote - I can't control your thoughts. If you choose a word you don't like, is that my fault?

Just to clarify it was not intended as a temporary fix, when I quizzed them about it they said it was fine, that was until I mention getting the building inspector in to check, then they offered to come & rectify. They were told under no circumstances was the original electrician to come in the house & they should send somebody else to complete.

It seems in the end a satisfactory outcome. At least for you although it would seem some electrician will be now job hunting.

However if as you say was intended to be permanent than clearly he needs some jolt to bring him into line with current regulations and practices as not a bad outcome.

As you will have seen, despite all the talk here about 'temporary', I never really believed that was what it was intended as! It sounds as if you have achieved a satisfactory outcome - but did the same 'electrician' do any other work? If so, there could be other things to rectify!

I must apologise, on behalf of the forum, for what has happened to this discussion in the last page or two - I'm afraid that it is only too common, and very commonly down to the same 'cause'. I hope that, despite that, you have found the input from the forum to be helpful.

Kind Regards, John

I wrote what I wrote.

I can't repeat it, as the Mods have made it quite clear that those 4 characters are foul and abusive.

I mention getting the building inspector in to check
The building inspector should be checking anyway, unless the electrician is self certifying, so which is the case?
The actual piece of work we've been discussing is presumably, in itself, 'not notifiable', given that we were told
Mark Elvin said:
The electricians working on the extension have added to the existing lighting circuit,
This raises a question I've never really thought about before. In general, if notifiable work is notified to LABC, I have always presumed (perhaps wrongly!) that LABC (or their appointed inspector) will inspect only the work which has been notified, even if some non-notifiable work has also been undertaken. Is that the case? If so, what happens when 'notification' of electrical work is part of a bigger application (e.g. for building an extension) - do they then 'inspect' all of the electrics, or only those bits which would be notifiable as individual bits of work?

Kind Regards, John

It's always seemed to me that they should inspect all of it. After all, the Building Regulations apply to all of it, to non-notifiable electrical work as much as notifiable, so if they are going to say "the extension complies", then in their own interests they should actually check that it does.

Even if not notifiable and BR didn't show an interest, if it's a proper sparky, shouldn't there be a minor works form etc?

Even if not notifiable and BR didn't show an interest, if it's a proper sparky, shouldn't there be a minor works form etc?
Indeed - but, as far as I can see, no-one has actually told us that there isn't one. The other point is that I suppose we can't be absolutely certain that the offending JB/rose was the work of the electrician who recently did work. It may have all been 'pre-existing', with the recent electrician merely connecting a new light to a wire emerging from it. If so, that might put a somewhat different complexion on things.

Kind Regards, John

It's always seemed to me that they should inspect all of it. After all, the Building Regulations apply to all of it, to non-notifiable electrical work as much as notifiable, so if they are going to say "the extension complies", then in their own interests they should actually check that it does.
It's hard to argue with that as a common sense approach - but common sense obviously does not always come into these things!

It perhaps gets less clear if one is only talking about electrical work. If one does a fair bit of electrical work, only a small part of which is notifiable, one would presumably only 'notify' that which was notifiable - and, in that situation, I don't think I would expect them to inspect (or have inspected) anything other than the work I had notified - would you?

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back