Building a barn/workshop do i need planning

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to build the above in my field for use as storage and workshop for equipment, its circa 1 acre and i plan to have some live stock on it, i will also store my caravan in the barn/shed so it will be of a reasonable size.

Do i need planning and what sort of sizes get passed these days.

The house is an old farm hose with the land sold off all but out little patch :)

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't have though so, IF:

You build it from timber.
Keep it at least 1 metre from the boundary.
Keep it under 30 sq. metres.
Keep it under 4m in height (with an apex roof)

Thanks for the reply i was going to metal clad a wood frame as it gets one hell of a battering up here in Wales

If its under 3sq m i can build you think? maybe i should build two ;)

Possibly, but there's a rule about what percentage of the land you can build on.

Metal clad I would think ok, as it's still a temporary structure as such. Conc base and low course of blocks to sit the frame on, but make sure it's all securely bolted to the concrete base if it's a breezy location.

Sponsored Links
Phone your local council and ask! Worst case is if you go ahead and are then told to tear it down for some petty reason. Councils tend to have thousands of little obscure rules!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back