Building a bespoke greenhouse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, this is going to sound like I want to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, but I'll post anyway.

My OH desires a greenhouse, but we are VERY limited in scope for one. I came up with the idea of having one on top of a rectangle of sleepers that I laid down a couple of years ago as a raised bed.

The idea being that we could have some sort of lean-to structure on top of the sleepers (three high), and that plants could grow in that soil.

So far so good. I envisaged having a couple of sliding doors on the front for access, and it was then that I realised that this would be tricky. Not least because the timber used would have to have the correct rebates/runners for the doors to work. Not only that but the rest of the framework would have to have rebates too to take glass.

So this is a little headache, as you might be able to see.

What do you think? I don't think I will be able to find a suitable product on the market that will fit the space in question. And there's nowhere else in the garden for a green house.

Cheers.

ps, it's not very big, perhaps 7' long by three feet deep.

Sponsored Links
What about getting some 2nd hand windows/patio doors or simillar and making a basic timber frame to support them?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back