Building a cabin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I’m looking at DIY building a timber cabin approx 3x5 in the back of my garden to use as a man den :D

I’ve attached a picture of the space. It will be in the raised part, maybe coming out slightly more. The 4 trees at the back are staying as I think it makes it a good feature.

I’ve been researching foundations for this, however I can’t decide on the best, given that there are trees, limited height, sloped. My main idea is to use a standard raft foundation, I can then bolt in beams for holding up a boxing bag etc. However, given the trees etc in place, it seems pad foundations would be a more sensible idea. Anyone else had any experience?

I built a 2x3 playhouse for my kid, and I simply used dense blocks on levelled ground to hold it. It’s been 3 years and it’s survived storms, gale force winds etc. My cabin would effectively be a bigger version of this? D4885C85-8899-46DA-BA5D-8A97CE51460E.jpeg

Attachments

• 25FCBDF6-51E8-4AA5-838F-434DD02031AD.jpeg
    25FCBDF6-51E8-4AA5-838F-434DD02031AD.jpeg
    653.7 KB · Views: 122
Sponsored Links
Nice, sounds like a plan.

Did you decide right up to use blocks, or did you consider other options before you built it?

Sponsored Links
It started off life as a basic shed which grew legs and evolved into a heated insulated summer house.

My first thoughts were to build it off sleepers but couldnt source any quick enough.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back