Building a dam across a small stream to create a pool?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to build a small dam across a hillside stream on my land to create a header tank from which to extract water for my water supply. (NB I already have the right to extract - the house has taken its modest share of the water from this stream for a couple of hundred years - but I need to construct a new header tank further down the stream due to a boundary change.)

At one point the stream narrows and the banks tighten. At that point the stream itself is about a foot across and the stream and the banks around it form a shallow u-shaped bed about 5 feet across. If I built a wall of some kind across there as a dam, I could create a pool about 2 foot deep by 4 foot wide and 3 foot long. That's similar to the size of the existing header tank.

My tentative plan is to use the many sizeable stones lying around to make a kind of wide dry stone wall on either side of the stream itself, but cementing the stones together as I ago instead of leaving the wall without mortar. Obviously, building a cemented wall in running water would be tricky, so I plan to build the walls up on both sides to about 8 inches, then use a lintel to bridge the central channel where the water flows and continue to build on top of the lintel. The water would be left a gap in the centre of the wall.

Once the walls had cured I could fill up the central channel with stone, which would perhaps slow the water enough to form a pool from which I could extract the water using a filter and an MDPE pipe. (Incidentally I would create a kind of overflow for the water so that it made no significant change to the overall flow rate.)

Does this sound feasible? If so, do you have any tips? E.g. should I use blocks instead of stone, what kind of cement should I use to bind stones etc.

TIA

Sponsored Links
Just a thought, but rather than having to construct using blocks/stone etc could you not just create a pond using something like this http://www.primrose.co.uk/-p-42901.html?adtype=pla&kwd=&gclid=CIDnnJuM0sECFfMZtAodukgAxQ
Adding pipework and overflow would be relatively easy and quicker to install than messing with blockwork etc.
I have thought of this - as you say it has some advantages - but the problem is that although there is a step of about 2 feet at this point, there is no clean, regular "lip" you could push the plastic tub up against. In other words, I can't work out how to reliably direct the flow of water from the stream into the plastic container. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back