Building a Wall in a Stream - Mortar Mix

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Need to build a 1.5 metre wide 75cm tall brick wall in a gently flowing stream. Can I use a standard 3:1 sand cement mix for this and allow it to set slowly under water? I was thinking of erecting a board on the downstream side for a few days to support the wall (which would be 3 or 4 bricks wide, not single brick) and stop wash-out.

Could one of you experts out there please advise. Tx.

Sponsored Links
You will either need to pile the foundations or channel the water away from the build area via shuttering etc, whilst you build or you will end up with a stream full of cement, sand and rubble.

And if the stream doubles as the local storm drain then either check the weather forecast beforehand, get a mountain of sandbags or hire a rather large pump.....

Sponsored Links
Doesn't sound too good so far.

This is not Crossrail or the new Thames new container port, just a small pond construction in the countryside. Thanks for the replies - my simple Plan A probably won't work. I've come across Parex aquatic mortar on the web, otherwise is there a Plan B that does not involve huge expense and heavy plant?

Doesn't sound too good so far.

This is not Crossrail or the new Thames new container port, just a small pond construction in the countryside. Thanks for the replies - my simple Plan A probably won't work. I've come across Parex aquatic mortar on the web, otherwise is there a Plan B that does not involve huge expense and heavy plant?

Cement based mortar will set underwater no probs. Your problem is actually working underwater and where that water is moving.

Jeremy, have a look into Lime mortars.

Im using lime(non hydraulic) for an old house reconstruction as its much better then cement in a lot of ways.

Ive only found out what I need to know on it for my purposes of rendering, plastering and possibly flooring but Ive seen that Natural Hydraulic Lime (NHL) sets underwater, indeed this is what the Romans used on their aqueducts and sewers.

http://www.lime-mortars.co.uk/lime/natural-hydraulic-lime/singleton-birch/NHL3.5/25kg

Thanks for that Graeme.

Briefly saw the follow up to the deleted post and in fact that was a valid point, albeit very stupidly put. Even for a very small stream, the Environment Agency may apparently be concerned about any interference with water flow and water quality so I may revise the design of this project and do away with the brick wall. Once again, over-regulation and red tape risk blocking British innovation and holding up business success...

Environment Agency may apparently be concerned about any interference with water flow and water quality so I may revise the design of this project.................... Once again, over-regulation and red tape risk blocking British innovation and holding up business success...

In your case it may ENCOURAGE innovation.

What is it your trying to do? Little bit of hydro power like they do in Austria and Norway?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back