Building a garage out of Brick

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys.

I want to build a garage 21 feet by 21 feet (roughly) at the bottom of my garden.

I have never done any brick work before but am willing to give it a try. I am thinking of using breeze block as they look easier to work with.

Currently the garden is slabbed with 2.5" slabs. How do I start with the foundations for the garage and what sort of bricks do I need to use? Will the slabs have to be remove for the foundations or can I build straight on these? Im assuming they need to come up :LOL:

Sponsored Links
You need to lift the flags/slabs/paving.
Then dig out for sub-base of at least 100mm, this will depend on the use of the garage.
and a further 100mm to be taken into account for the concrete pour.
Also worth consideing DPC, insulation and any services reqiured, such as drains, waterpipe, electrics.
If your building with concrete blocks, they will be best rendered

ok that is fine. The garage will be for one car and a workshop.

Would there be a different type of breeze block for the foundations and how would I go about starting the first layer. Do you just pour concrete in the trench then start a level row of bricks??

What hight would the DPC need to be installed to do its job properly?

Like I said, i dont know much about this subject :)

Sponsored Links
alanwheeldon,

There are so many ways to build a garage. Strip foundations as you seem to be thinking about. But also you can use a raft where the concrete slab is poured for your floor and the edges are made thicker to take the walls straight off the slab. Google "Garage Construction" and check out some of the photos and other details.

I think strip foundations with a later a separate floor slab is the best way because it is a flexible way to build. But you may find a raft easier. Your choice in the end but worth looking at the options if you have not yet considered them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back